Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF PHOTO CONTEST - Statuesque (10/20-10/26)

1. Oct 20, 2007 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Statuesque

The contest this week is all on statues. Your picture must have, as its main subject, a statue or more. Please make sure that it really is a statue and not some small carvings.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2007 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I've not decided whether I want to use the pic yet, but would a carved ship figurehead count?

4. Oct 20, 2007 #3
    It was hard deciding which one to use... so I went with this: a different perspective on a well known statue

[​IMG]

5. Oct 20, 2007 #4
    Defaced George Washington Statue at Coventry St London. Done by very shifty looking bums having a whiskey party with a bombox!

[​IMG]

6. Oct 20, 2007 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure what a "carved ship figurehead" is. If it is just a "head", then it probably would not qualify as a 'statue'.

Zz.

7. Oct 21, 2007 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From my trip to Dublin 2 years ago.

[​IMG]

This is Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy.

Dublin was just awash in interesting sculpture. I had to make a choice.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  8. Oct 21, 2007 #7
    San Francisco is weird. I call this, bean bag person.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  9. Oct 22, 2007 #8

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

[​IMG]
    Liu Jianhua

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  10. Oct 22, 2007 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yikes. Why do I find this picture rather disturbing?

Zz.

11. Oct 22, 2007 #10
    [​IMG]
    Taken at Lalbaug Botanical Garden (Bangalore, India)

12. Oct 22, 2007 #11

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

:smile:
    And bean bag person wasn't?

Yes, I think Chinese postmodern art is often meant to be disturbing, but I also think this is quite beautiful too, and I like the goldfish swimming around.

http://www.artezine.com/issues/20031201/plumb.htm
    Hope this explains it better than I can!

Or else, does the disturbance mean that this doesn't fit the criteria?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  13. Oct 22, 2007 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er.. no. My "disturbance" has nothing to do with it. If it doesn't fit, I'll tell you.

Zz.

14. Oct 22, 2007 #13
    haha, no contest, headless ladies on a plate with fish wins in my book.

15. Oct 22, 2007 #14
    [​IMG]

Zero Gravity with family

16. Oct 23, 2007 #15

matthyaouw

Gold Member

[​IMG]
    A statue at the Humber Dock basin, Hull commemorating the journeys of more than a million migrants that passed through the city from northern Europe on their way to a life in the new world.

17. Oct 23, 2007 #16
    The hot tub at a hotel in Cuba.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  18. Oct 23, 2007 #17

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I had several pictures of statues that I've narrowed down to. But after being "traumatized" by that picture of headless figures in a pool, I decided to use a more familiar and "comforting" picture. :)

[​IMG]

Zz.

19. Oct 23, 2007 #18
    though a kind of naughty one...
    ok maybe it's just me:redface:

20. Oct 23, 2007 #19

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's just you.

:)

Zz.

21. Oct 24, 2007 #20

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You have less than 2 days left to enter a picture for this contest.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?