Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF PHOTO CONTEST - Summer Holidays (aug 22-28)

1. Aug 22, 2009 #1

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Summer Holidays

Show me where you've been on your holidays this summer. If you've not not been away this summer, show me any previous trip away. Tell me a bit about where you went too :smile:

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2009 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As mentioned, I've been digging into the old family slides. I took this when our family spent a week in Yosemite National Park, many many moons ago.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3980/1005z.jpg [Broken]

We have plenty of photos from over the years that I could scan, but many have lost some of the color, and I have no idea where they are right now. Lots of pics of Hawaii from numerous trips, somewhere. :biggrin: The slides all held up extremely well. The pic above is about 35 years old.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Aug 23, 2009 #3
  5. Aug 23, 2009 #4
    Kind a' boring, this contest, don't you think? :(

Mountains? Any day. Not very creative...

Anyone could win this one by finding a picture of a beach one shot with a glaring sunset/sunrise along with a bunch of kids/kittens/puppies, baby chihuahuas and they would take the crown.

Kids (especially babies), kittens and puppies should be excluded in any contest unless specified. They have an unfair "cuteness" advantage. Doesn't take much to shoot a baby or a kitten any day, but there is not much creativity in it.

Be original, guys.

Look through the lens...

Edit:

6. Aug 23, 2009 #5
  7. Aug 23, 2009 #6
    The last night at the cabin, campfire with my friends and neighbors.

HPNX0051.jpg

8. Aug 23, 2009 #7
    I didn't get a vacation this summer. This was taken of the mirror sculpture in Millenium park during my internship at Argonne Natl. Lab a couple summers ago. If you look hard I must be in it...but I can't find myself!

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2267/anl.jpg [Broken]

9. Aug 23, 2009 #8
    Once you start posting your award winning, incredibly original photographs, we'll listen to you.

10. Aug 23, 2009 #9
    NaturesHourglass.jpg

I took this last summer at a family reunion on the Columbia River in Washington, we were lucky enough to all meet there again this summer.

11. Aug 24, 2009 #10
    Really nice photo binzing.

12. Aug 25, 2009 #11

matthyaouw

Gold Member

please don't post images to the thread unless it's your entry (I end up putting them in the polling thread :uhh:)
    Text links are fine.

13. Aug 25, 2009 #12
    Holiday on Lake Constanz taken from flower island Mainau in South Germany

29m101g.jpg

It's from two years ago when we lived in that areas and we took all holiday visitors there to touch paradise feeling.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  14. Aug 25, 2009 #13

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yup! Hard to believe, but this is where I went to this past summer! :)

img5126u.jpg

Zz.

15. Aug 25, 2009 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

wow!

16. Aug 25, 2009 #15

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's not as exotic as you think! :)

Zz.

17. Aug 25, 2009 #16

Maroc

Gold Member

18. Aug 26, 2009 #17
    Is that the Matterhorn at Disneyland?

19. Aug 26, 2009 #18
    Thank you, its one of the few that I've thought would be worthy to, and have tried to, sell.

20. Aug 26, 2009 #19
    Maroc, you may want to consult the opening post about how to display your beautiful image. If you don't, it will be disqualified from the contest. Here are the relevant parts:

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. ("Me" in this case is matthyaous)

Good luck!

21. Aug 27, 2009 #20
    Maroc, just open your image in Microsoft 'Paint' and select resize image, in your case select 25% for horizontal and vertical. The simplest way I know to upload images is via www.tinypic.com. No need for membership or signing in. Just upload. Then copy the output in the second box (IMG code for forum) and paste that.

I did the first steps for this result:

http://i32.tinypic.com/9r24q9.jpg

now for now you only can copy that url and change the "url" in the tags to "img" so it looks like (no spaces):

Code (Text):
    [PLAIN] picture http [/PLAIN] [Broken]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook