PF PHOTO CONTEST - Well-Beaten Path (10/11-10/17)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
40 replies · 6K views
That is the case, indeed, Hypatia. I'm surprised Jason actually got a shot of that piece of trail when it was devoid of tourists. The ecology of Mt. Desert Island (home to Acadia National Park) is fragile, and visitors are asked to stay on marked trails as much as possible. People volunteer every year to help repair washouts, excessive wear and erosion on the walking trails and the traditional "carriage trails". These trails are well-used, so they must be maintained with materials that resist wear and erosion - thus the stone borders and the crushed rock walking surface.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
I've never managed to have a camera ready when she was crossing the lawn, and it only lasts a couple of seconds at most. The path shows up best in low light, and by early evening she was done working anyway.

Just knowing it lives around is pretty neat!

I wouldn't care so much about the pictures. It would be nice though.

One time we had a rabit in a cage in our backyard (family choice, not mine) and it would feed the wild rabbits that came by the cage. They definitely communicated. I can just imagine that rabbit just wanted to run in the wild. I wish I could have let it go. I was just unsure if it would survive (like able to feed itself excluding getting hit by car). I rather live my life young and free, then die tragically, than live old and restricted.
 
If you look back at the end of the path, you'll see a dark chamber in the weeds. It's like she cleared out a little bower from which to do her surveillance. The grasses she cleared out are probably her bedding in her home under the rock pile.
 
path.JPG


Walking to the winter
 
turbo-1 said:
If you look back at the end of the path, you'll see a dark chamber in the weeds. It's like she cleared out a little bower from which to do her surveillance. The grasses she cleared out are probably her bedding in her home under the rock pile.

I bet going in there to take a picture would scare the daylights out of the chipmunks.

Definitely, a must not do.
 
Andre said:
path.JPG


Walking to the winter

That's gorgeous, Andre.
 
GeorginaS said:
That's gorgeous, Andre.

I second that...it looks so quiet, like if you walked the path, the only thing you'd hear is your own footprints. It reminds me why I love winter.
 
lisab said:
I second that...it looks so quiet, like if you walked the path, the only thing you'd hear is your own footprints. It reminds me why I love winter.

Thanks Lisa and Georgina.

It was a very rare opportunity to take that shot. It was last year in December in Zoetermeer in a park, we had freezing fog for about three days and then the next morning, a beautiful sunny day allowing to shoot a dozens of this kind of pictures. It lasted about one hour, then the frost started to melt and disappear. Posted pictures from that series earlier
 
Last edited:
GeorginaS said:
That's gorgeous, Andre.
lisab said:
I second that...

Thirded. It is beautiful with such crispness to it.