PF's datacenter in the path of Ian

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, PF's datacenter is in Tampa Bay, FL. Obviously, it's run by professionals with top-shelf equipment and facilities that anticipate such events, but you never know. If PF has some downtime Thursday night and Friday you know why. I'll keep any relevant updates on the Facebook and Twitter pages.
PF's datacenter is in Tampa Bay, FL. Obviously, it's run by professionals with top-shelf equipment and facilities that anticipate such events, but you never know. If PF has some downtime Thursday night and Friday you know why. I'll keep any relevant updates on the Facebook and Twitter pages.

• Wow
Likes DrClaude, Wrichik Basu, topsquark and 7 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
PF's datacenter is in Tampa Bay, FL. Obviously, it's run by professionals with top-shelf equipment and facilities that anticipate such events, but you never know. If PF has some downtime Thursday night and Friday you know why. I'll keep any relevant updates on the Facebook and Twitter pages.
It's not actually out in the Bay itself, is it?

PeroK said:
I hope not :biggrin::nb)🏊‍♂️

Likes PeroK
Well, not yet...

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Wrichik Basu, topsquark, berkeman and 5 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
That's funny. The ping gave me San Francisco. What exactly have they told you when they spoke about the bay area? :cool:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'll keep any relevant updates on the Facebook and Twitter pages.
And here also I hope? As I don't do Facebook or Twitter.

Likes symbolipoint and PeroK
fresh_42 said:
That's funny. The ping gave me San Francisco. What exactly have they told you when they spoke about the bay area? :cool:
You are pinging the IP address of the Cloudflare CDN, it'll be the origin server that is in Tampa Bay.

• Informative
Likes fresh_42
dlgoff said:
And here also I hope? As I don't do Facebook or Twitter.
What, you'd like Greg to post a message here saying "you can't see this because the site is down?"

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, DaveE, phinds and 2 others
pbuk said:
What, you'd like Greg to post a message here saying "you can't see this because the site is down?"
Kicking myself. :doh:

dlgoff said:
Kicking myself. :doh:
For not being on Facebook? Well, there are pluses and minuses... :wink:

• Haha
Likes symbolipoint, BillTre, dlgoff and 1 other person
berkeman said:
For not being on Facebook? Well, there are pluses and minuses... :wink:
Uh ... or not.
1664243001593.png

• Love
  • Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, topsquark, Tom.G and 1 other person
I recently talked with my sister who is Bradenton, FL, across the bay and to the south of Tampa (the city).
Bradenton will be further from the path of the storm's center so she should have less of an impact.
I saw predictions of a 10 foot storm surge in an area with lots of low land areas and lot of water channels connecting to the ocean.
The lack of altitude will also runoff will not be so fast (could be good or bad). The place is full of lakes, ponds, and streams.
She will be staying there because of the kind of zone she is in (a "C" zone). A's have to evacuate first.

Tampa Bay is the area not an actual city, although Tampa, FL is the major city in the Tampa Bay area. the football Buccaneers are a Tampa Bay team.

Here is an evacuation zone map of Tampa:
Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 6.51.56 PM.png

This a map showing the predicted effects of a cat. 1 (weak, but probably closer in their model) storm in the area. The causeways have major roads on them.
Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 6.56.28 PM.png

It would be interesting to get the actual location of the server and see where it is on these maps.
I'm guessing that's something they keep secrete though.
However, I would expect a secure location would hajve been chosen with robust signal connections.

Likes PeroK
For the benefit of members who are not members of Facebook or Twitter, .... ?

symbolipoint said:
For the benefit of members who are not members of Facebook or Twitter, .... ?
I don't have emails integrated into any third-party service so these are the only outside communication abilities I have.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
PeroK said:
Give it time.

• Haha
Likes phinds, anorlunda and fresh_42
I'm actually a bit surprised that in this age of containerization and virtualization, the providers don't have agreements allowing them to transfer the server operations to other sites at the touch of a button if necessary.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm actually a bit surprised that in this age of containerization and virtualization, the providers don't have agreements allowing them to transfer the server operations to other sites at the touch of a button if necessary.
Those features exist for at least twenty years, even before cloud computing became normal. However, it's not quite cheap. I had offers where they suggested replacing an entire IT department with a truck in the parking lot in case of a disaster.

• Wow
Likes symbolipoint
Vanadium 50 said:
A service provider with multiple locations will often provide that capability, but at a price.

Likes Wrichik Basu and Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'll keep any relevant updates on the Facebook and Twitter pages.
Could you give the name to look for the Twitter identifier for people to CHECK even if someone is not a Twitter member?

symbolipoint said:
Could you give the name to look for the Twitter identifier for people to CHECK even if someone is not a Twitter member?
Just Google "twitter physics forums", surely? That leads you straight here.

Likes BillTre and Greg Bernhardt
PF's datacenter in the path of Ian
Anthropomorphizing.

I'm sorry but I can't get this out of my head.

1664301565962.png

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, Ibix, Nugatory and 3 others
Surely upon seeing that site (physicsforums on Twitter) now I more fully know that this Physicsforum is much much better than that site. If PF goes out for a while, then I've no interest in checking anything at the Twitter part of Physicsforums.

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu and DaveC426913
StevieTNZ said:
I hope some people realize, you don't need a Twitter account to view tweets on PhysicsForums feed...

https://twitter.com/physicsforums
Yes I realize that now, but still the display of physicsforums on Twitter is not a comfortable arrangement. The format of the forum itself is good.

symbolipoint said:
Yes I realize that now, but still the display of physicsforums on Twitter is not a comfortable arrangement. The format of the forum itself is good.
Twitter is mostly used as an official channel for communication throughout the world. It is not a forum software like XenForo or Reddit.

Wrichik Basu said:
Twitter is mostly used as an official channel for communication throughout the world. It is not a forum software like XenForo or Reddit.
Twitter is an absurdity to me. I always read or hear that someone whose opinion I do not care the least about and who is a celebrity for reasons I do not understand announced something on Twitter that doesn't affect any part of my life.

• Love
Likes russ_watters, symbolipoint, Bystander and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
Twitter is an absurdity to me. I always read or hear that someone whose opinion I do not care the least about and who is a celebrity for reasons I do not understand announced something on Twitter that doesn't affect any part of my life.
It all depends on how you use it. And that is, in fact, true for the internet as a whole. If you form your opinion about Twitter by following news agencies, then you will see it from their perspective. If you use it and customize it yourself, then you will have a significantly different perspective. For example, I follow several established physicists from CERN and other institutes who share glimpses of their work and their working environment, which I find quite interesting and motivating. I also follow some lawyers and law-reporting agencies and thereby try to keep myself up-to-date with the various legal developments in my country. Then you have accounts like LHC status which will give you the live status of the LHC.

Likes russ_watters, OmCheeto and BillTre
Wrichik Basu said:
It all depends on how you use it.
Yeah. I've got a friend called The Grumpy Programmer who posts about his PHP QA testing constantly. He has tens of thousands of followers. So there's that...

But for me, I can't think of anyone who would be interested in anything I might say ("Welp, passing the buoy at Gibraltar Point doing 5.1 knots on a close haul. Getting a bit of a lift from the headland.") :rolleyes:

but more damningly - I can't think of anyone in the entire world* from whom I want to hear their stream-of-consciousness thoughts on an hourly basis.

*OK, Adam Savage, But that's it!

• Love
Likes symbolipoint and fresh_42
DaveC426913 said:
But for me, I can't think of anyone who would be interested in anything I might say
I dunno, I would probably follow you to keep tabs on your dog training (er, your dog training you, I mean)... :wink:

Likes BillTre
berkeman said:
I dunno, I would probably follow you to keep tabs on your dog training (er, your dog training you, I mean)... :wink:
Heh.
See now, that's the other thing: I would not tweet about that. It's a task, not a hobby.

DaveC426913 said:
I would not tweet about that.
That's irrelevant at this point. I just got a tweet from your dog. She is quite eloquent...

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913
berkeman said:
That's irrelevant at this point. I just got a tweet from your dog. She is quite eloquent...
Tell her she should seek professional consultancy and ask a cat for the project plan.

berkeman said:
I would more, much more, prefer to read about that HERE.

Back