1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ph.D. programs with discrete mathematics

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    I've been having trouble finding many pure math Ph.D. programs with active research groups in the general field of discrete mathematics (perhaps due to its interdisciplinary nature). I'm only aware of the top schools in this field (e.g. Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Tech, UCSD, Rutgers); can anyone suggest some middle-to-lower ranked schools with a relatively large presence in discrete math?

If it helps, I am particularly interested in graph theory, as well as connections between combinatorics/graph theory to number theory and topology. My interests are entirely within the domain of pure math; I do not wish to apply to any applied math or computer science programs.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2
    Well, why not go to one of those schools? In particular, georgia tech? But, I think Emory University does a lot of discrete stuff, too.

4. Apr 20, 2012 #3
    I would love to go to one of those schools, but it's not like I can go to a top school just because I want to; I have to worry about getting in first! I'll probably end up applying to ~10-12 programs next year, and I want a good variety of schools: some near the top, and others for which I have a better chance of getting into. Thank you for suggesting Emory though; I will definitely check them out.

5. Apr 23, 2012 #4
    Sorry for the bump; it's been 3 days without another response. Does anyone have other suggestions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook