1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestions for Quantum Computation Ph.D Program?

1. Jul 29, 2015 #1

EJC

I am going to be applying to grad schools in the coming months, and plan to apply to many schools. I'm looking for programs in quantum computation, quantum information, quantum optics, etc... (related research often falls under many different names). These programs generally are categorized in AMO (Atomic, Molecular, and Optics). I have been looking at programs for a while now, and have found quite a lot of suitable programs.

My reason for posting is that I'd like to know about any other that I may have not come across yet. Because related research in this field often falls under different categories than AMO, I want to make sure I have as seen as many programs as possible. For example, I work at a research lab right now, and a researcher who works in quantum computing is applying to RIT for a Ph.D in nanoscale engineering because it is obviously applicable.

Schools I have seen and will most likely apply to:
    University of Rochester (1st choice as of right now)
    Cornell University
    Stony Brook University
    SUNY Albany (Safety - my application is very good, but I haven't yet taken the PGRE and they do not require it)
    MIT & Harvard (why not?)
    Northeastern
    Dartmouth
    University of Wisconsin Madison
    University of Maryland College Park

Are there any other graduate programs that people would suggest for programs in quantum information/quantum optics or related fields? I should note that I'd like to stay in the Northeast, but this is not necessarily a requirement.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2015 #2
    I hope you have a great GPA (> 3.8), high PGRE score (> 80th percentile), relevant research experience, and great letters of recommendation to apply to MIT and Harvard.

4. Jul 29, 2015 #3

EJC

Thanks for the implicit casting of doubt, but, aside from the PGRE score (which I haven't yet taken), I do.

5. Jul 29, 2015 #4

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Schools like Harvard, Stanford, and MIT, they care most about research experience and letters so that needs to be very strong.

As far as GPA or recommendations, it's ok if you have a week spot (like weaker grades in freshman courses) if research and letters are truly outstanding. Contrary to popular belief, there are people who get into those schools with lower than a 3.8 and 80% on the PGRE but that is because they have really proven themselves to be great researchers.

6. Jul 29, 2015 #5
    Princeton's Electrical Engineering department has a few professors who do Quantum Information research, my reu topic here is in that field and all the graduate students who are in my mentors group were physics undergraduates

7. Jul 30, 2015 #6

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think it may be best to apply to physics or applied physics departments since I think that would give you more flexibility. I know in my program you can work with people in a lot of different departments. I assume you can do this at Princeton as well.

8. Jul 30, 2015 #7
    University of New Mexico has a good program in the field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook