1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PH of buffer with addition of conjugate base

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider 1L of a solution that is 0.100 M in acetic acid and 0.100 M in sodium acetate. What will the pH be, when 0.0900 mol of sodium acetate are added?
    Ignore changes in volume.

acetic acid pka = 1.75 E-5

2. Relevant equations

HA --> H+ + A-
    pH=pka +log A-/HA

3. The attempt at a solution

I had similar questions that I know how to do with strong acids. The difference in this question is that the added acid/base is a weak one. With the strong base addition I can just add it to A- concentration and subtract it from HA and use Henderson-Hasselbach equation.

This one I tried that but the numbers I know are off. I also tried doing ka = H+*(0.1+.009)/0.1

Solving for H+ and then using that to find out concentrations of A- and HA but the H+ number is far too small to make a difference and I'm fairly sure I can't just add the conjugate bases together.

Can someone please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

0.009? * instead of log? This is a correct approach, just check your math.

4. Feb 10, 2009 #3
    Oops I made it a mistake, anyways when I did my math I just did 1.75E-5 = H+(0.19)/0.1

I get 9.2E-6

but I have no idea what to do with this. If I do it the same way as a strong base question I would add it to the A- concentration and subtract it from HA, but this value is too small to make a difference to a 0.1 M.

5. Feb 10, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You have added conjugate base - so change only base concentration, acid concentration is untouched. Simply plug numbers into HH equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook