Phase shift when asin(2π/λ(x+α)) matches asin(2π/λ·x)

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter charki126
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Thanks Trig
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
charki126
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
At what value of α is the curve y=asin2π/λ (x+α) in phase with z=asin2π/λ(x)?

My answer booklet says α=1−λx+nλ, but I keep getting α=nλ, where n=0,1,2...
I have no clue how to get to the answer shown in the mark scheme. Any insight would be much appreciated!
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Guessing at your syntax ... are the following interpretations correct?

$y = A\sin\left[\dfrac{2\pi}{\lambda} \cdot (x + \alpha)\right]$

$z = A\sin\left(\dfrac{2\pi}{\lambda} \cdot x \right)$

If so, then the period of both sinusoids is $\lambda$, hence I agree that the two will be in phase for $\alpha = k \lambda \, , \, k \in \mathbb{Z}$
 
Last edited by a moderator: