• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Admissions PhD in Particle Physics: Oxford or Imperial?

Hi all, I recently got accepted to do a PhD into High Energy Physics groups at Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Cambridge and Manchester. My main interest is neutrino physics, which all of these places are offering. However, I am struggling to pick between Oxford and Imperial.

I have met and discussed the potential projects at length with each corresponding supervisor. Imperial would be focused on the COMET experiment, whereas Oxford would be DUNE. There's a possibility I will be offered a scholarship from Oxford. Both departments are fantastic in their research and highly prestigious. Therefore, I am in a happy yet confusing predicament. I was wondering whether anyone could shed some light on what they would pick and why?

Congrats, all are highly regarded schools! Have you discovered any differences?

Hi all, I recently got accepted to do a PhD into High Energy Physics groups at Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Cambridge and Manchester. My main interest is neutrino physics, which all of these places are offering. However, I am struggling to pick between Oxford and Imperial.

I have met and discussed the potential projects at length with each corresponding supervisor. Imperial would be focused on the COMET experiment, whereas Oxford would be DUNE. There's a possibility I will be offered a scholarship from Oxford. Both departments are fantastic in their research and highly prestigious. Therefore, I am in a happy yet confusing predicament. I was wondering whether anyone could shed some light on what they would pick and why?
Hey! I have no idea which university is better for you, but still, wanted to wish you good luck! Hope you have a great phd experience! Greetings!

The only input I'm putting in is that oxford is situated REALLY close to RAL (Rutherford Appleton laboratory), where they do ALOT of particle physics. As a result, getting some experience there might be easier if you apply for oxford. But then again that's only my opinion. Imperial also offers postgrad training at RAL.
Also, you may find this useful too.