PHD in Theoretical particle physics/cosmology

In summary: DIn summary, an expert summarizer of the content of this conversation would say that the individual is in third year of a degree in theoretical physics at a university in the UK. They mention that they are interested in theoretical physics areas such as particle physics and quantum computing, and they also mention that they would like to do a research project over the summer between 3rd and 4th year.
sam_021
Hi
i know there's been many threads on this but i looked at them and they don't answer my Q's

Basiaclly I am doing an Mphys Physics Degree in the UK . My university is very experimental, basically all lab work and projects experimental and only theoretical research that is interesting is Quantum information
and obviously that has affected my modules in the fact that they are very leaned towards experimental physics aswell

Ive got a friend at another university in the UK and his university is the opposite .. He learns about all the areas in physics I dream of and the other parts he learns in a very theoretical approach

So what are my chances of being able to go onto a Theoretical physics (particle physics and cosmology are my main interests) PHD ?
considering I have and will not get to do modules in things like Lie groups, gauge theory, string theory and etc like my friend does :(

Physics news on Phys.org
To be honest I can't really help you, but, just out of curiosity what unis are you and your friends at, because I have offers from a few UK unis for physics next year and I was wondering what others are thinking about them.. i.e. to help me choose and so on.

I go to leeds and my friend goes to kings college ;)

You might have to do something like part 3 or the imperial MSc in fundamental forces and fields, but it's impossible to tell without looking at your transcript. What year are you in? I it too late to drop down to the BSc and take a masters instead of your fourth year?

Ye I am in third year and i can't drop into Bsc anymore :(

my Third year modules were/are
Theoretical physics
Advanced Mathematics
Particle physics
Quantum Computation
High Energy physics seminar -This is a research module and I am begging my lecturer at the moment to let me do research on theoretical aspects, he wasnt very happy but we will ahve to see LOL
Advanced QM
Cosmology - its a maths module
Electromagnetic radiation and plasma physics
Nuclear physics and energy

and 4th yr I am planning on doing
QFT
General relativity
Quantum optics
Quantum information science
Astroparticle seminar - Again I am going to try and convince them to let me do research in theoretical areas

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but it seems to me as if King's College offers all of these fancy sounding and seemingly very specialized courses that look awesome at first glance, but might not necessarily be such when looked upon from the viewpoint that an undergrad education is supposed to give you a firm foundation to build on. Leeds on the other hand seems to cover all that you need and will prepare you for any kind of further studies, but will do so in an old-fashioned "red brick" style instead of the posh London one :smile: I don't know, when I looked at various Physics curricula in the UK, yours is what universities usually offer, so I really can't see how you wouldn't be able to continue studying what you want to.

Well it sounds like you're doing plenty of theoretical modules. I wouldn't worry about not doing courses in string theory or lie groups-- you'll have time at the beginning of your PhD to learn these things if needs be.

Do you do a dissertation/project (or is that what the seminar modules are? Do you have to write a mini thesis for these modules?).

Try looking around for somewhere to do a research project over the summer between 3rd and 4th year. These things are very popular in the US but are somewhat few and far between over here. I'm more on the cosmology side, but know that Oxford do something like this (albeit mainly for their undergrads) and I think sussex usually have some grants for summer projects in cosmology.

Thanks a lot for the info and help guys, it really helped me and appreciated :D

cristo said:
Well it sounds like you're doing plenty of theoretical modules. I wouldn't worry about not doing courses in string theory or lie groups-- you'll have time at the beginning of your PhD to learn these things if needs be.

Do you do a dissertation/project (or is that what the seminar modules are? Do you have to write a mini thesis for these modules?).

Try looking around for somewhere to do a research project over the summer between 3rd and 4th year. These things are very popular in the US but are somewhat few and far between over here. I'm more on the cosmology side, but know that Oxford do something like this (albeit mainly for their undergrads) and I think sussex usually have some grants for summer projects in cosmology.
Oh sorry forgot to mention that, because I am on a 4yr course we do labs (experimental) again in 3rd year and do a project in 4th yr, ill probably do a project in either Quantum information or Astrophysics if there is any cosmology involved

And in england i think you can only do summer research placements at the university you study at, I've applied for a few at leeds (interesting stuff but nothing i want to go into) But i don't think i can apply to other universities as they take their own students

sam_021 said:
Oh sorry forgot to mention that, because I am on a 4yr course we do labs (experimental) again in 3rd year and do a project in 4th yr, ill probably do a project in either Quantum information or Astrophysics if there is any cosmology involved

I see, well that's good.

And in england i think you can only do summer research placements at the university you study at, I've applied for a few at leeds (interesting stuff but nothing i want to go into) But i don't think i can apply to other universities as they take their own students

I don't think that's necessarily true: it's probably just the case that the faculty have more contact with their own students. Maybe you should try emailing a few people (though I'd hurray, since deadlines to apply for these things tend to be in Feb).

What is a PHD in Theoretical Particle Physics/Cosmology?

A PHD in Theoretical Particle Physics/Cosmology is a doctoral degree that focuses on the study of the fundamental building blocks of the universe, such as particles and their interactions, as well as the origins and evolution of the universe as a whole.

What is the difference between particle physics and cosmology?

Particle physics is the study of the smallest known particles and their interactions, while cosmology is the study of the universe as a whole, including its origins and evolution. However, they are closely related as understanding the fundamental particles is essential to understanding the structure and evolution of the universe.

What kind of research is involved in a PHD in Theoretical Particle Physics/Cosmology?

A PHD in Theoretical Particle Physics/Cosmology involves conducting original research in areas such as quantum field theory, cosmological models, and high energy physics. This may involve using mathematical models, computer simulations, and data analysis from experiments such as particle accelerators and telescopes.

What career opportunities are available with a PHD in Theoretical Particle Physics/Cosmology?

Graduates with a PHD in Theoretical Particle Physics/Cosmology often pursue careers in academia, working as professors or researchers at universities and research institutions. They may also work in the private sector, such as in industries related to technology, energy, or aerospace.

How long does it take to complete a PHD in Theoretical Particle Physics/Cosmology?

The length of a PHD program in Theoretical Particle Physics/Cosmology can vary, but it typically takes around 4-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and dissertation writing. The exact timeline may also depend on the individual's progress and the requirements of their specific program.