Phd in Theoreticle Physics and Astrophysics

In summary, it is possible to get a PhD in both theoretical physics and theoretical astrophysics at the same time, but it may not be necessary or beneficial. The coursework for both degrees overlaps significantly and it is possible to specialize in astrophysics for a physics PhD dissertation. When it comes to getting hired at NASA, the specific work and research done in the field is more important than the title of the PhD. It is also possible to do a dual PhD in both physics and astronomy, but it may require taking minimum coursework in both fields and sacrificing the opportunity to take more specialized courses.
Stratosphere
Is it possible o get a PhD in both theoretical physics and theoretical astrophysics at the same time, or is it too much to handle? Also, would it better my chances of being hired for NASA as an astrophysics and a math PHD rather than a theoretical physics and astrophysics PHD, or does it not really matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
There wouldn't be a point in getting separate PhDs in both - they overlap far too much. The coursework is almost the same - exactly the same at some universities - and you can get a PhD in physics and do astrophysics for the dissertation. That's what I'm doing. Your chances of getting a job at NASA will depend a bit more on the work you've done in the field than the actual title of your PhD.

So you're saying that I could be hired in the astrophysics division of NASA as a theoretical physicist? Wouldn't they prefer an astrophysicist?

Also if the two are so closely related then getting a PHD in both wouldn't be that much harder than getting it in just one.

You're not going to be accepted to a PhD program in astrophysics if you already have a PhD in physics. There wouldn't be any point. You'd be taking almost the same exact classes - you can just study the material on your own. NASA would hire a physicist or astrophysicist for the same job if they met the requirements - say, research in a particular field. A PhD in physics doesn't mean you don't know astrophysics as well. I'm getting a PhD in physics and my dissertation is in astrophysics. My PhD will say physics, but I do astrophysics.

eri said:
I'm getting a PhD in physics and my dissertation is in astrophysics. My PhD will say physics, but I do astrophysics.

Me too. My field is particle astrophysics, and my advisor has me doing a physics PhD so that I can avoid taking astronomy courses that I don't need. That, and particle astro is basically just high energy physics in space and with cheaper equipment (it helps when nature supplies that particle acceleration mechanism).

Stratosphere, if you're really insistent on this, a professor in my department did once tell me that it's possible to do a dual PhD. The reason I didn't do this though is that I'd have to take courses like stellar astrophysics, galactic, observational, and a whole bunch of other stuff. And I probably wouldn't get to take courses like nuclear physics, quantum field theory, general relativity, and other fun stuff that I'd rather be taking. Basically it required doing the bare minimum coursework in both physics and astronomy, so it didn't seem that appealing to me. But hey, apparently it is possible at some universities (or at least at mine).

1. What is a PhD in Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics?

A PhD in Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics is an advanced degree that focuses on the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical universe, as well as the application of these principles to understand astronomical objects and phenomena.

2. What are the requirements for pursuing a PhD in Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics?

Typically, a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is required for admission to a PhD program in Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics. Some programs may also require a master's degree or relevant research experience. Additionally, strong mathematical and computational skills are essential for success in this field.

3. What career opportunities are available with a PhD in Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics?

A PhD in Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics can lead to a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia, government agencies, or private industry. Graduates may also pursue careers in teaching, science communication, or data analysis.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics?

The length of a PhD program in Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics can vary, but it typically takes 4-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and the writing and defense of a dissertation.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a PhD in Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics?

A PhD in Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics will provide you with a strong foundation in advanced physics and mathematics, as well as analytical and problem-solving skills. You will also develop critical thinking and research skills, as well as the ability to communicate complex concepts to a wide audience.