1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs PhD math/applied math/theoretical physics

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    Is pure mathematics the only science subject which does not have a practical component at PhD level?

I.e. would applied maths/theoretical physics have a practical component at PhD level (would there be labs associated with doing a PhD in a.m./t.p.)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't think there are lab components to most PhD's in theoretical physics.

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with cristo. As far as I am aware, the only 'lab' component that you *may* encounter during an App. Math / Theo. Phys. PhD would be computer simulations/ numerical analysis.

5. Feb 19, 2009 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

My experience (US) is that many PhD programs require a lab course for all graduates, whether in theory or experiment. (Experimenters have to calculate, so fair is fair). I suspect that schools that encourage early specialization probably have a different set of requirements.

6. Feb 19, 2009 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh, I see that the OP was probably asking about the coursework component to a PhD in the US. Since there's no coursework element to a PhD in the UK I sometimes read 'PhD level work' as 'research' and forget about the coursework element in other programmes, hence I didn't see how theoretical research could involve lab work. I see that isn't the question: my mistake!

7. Feb 20, 2009 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had no idea that US PhD programmes require a lab component. How long does a typical PhD programme run for in the US?

8. Feb 20, 2009 #7
    4-7 years, average 5-6. Usually there is 1-2 yrs of coursework focused work, followed by 3-5 years of research focused work, though people often do a little research during their first years and take the occasional course during their later years. Less than 4 is rare, as is more than 7.

9. Feb 20, 2009 #8
    I know that many, if not all, US physics doctorate programs do not require a lab component for anyone specializing in theoretical physics.

10. Feb 20, 2009 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Chicago requires a lab component for all of its PhD's.

Considering that at most universities one doesn't have to commit to an area of specialization until the second or third year, but that coursework occurs in the first two years (more or less), I don't even see how it would work to let theorists avoid lab classes.

11. Oct 24, 2010 #10
    I was also hoping to get into theoretical physics but wanted to avoid taking a lab course. I know some schools like Chicago require it but I also saw a few that didn't.

12. Oct 24, 2010 #11

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think it's probably a mistake to decide as an undergraduate what will and will not be useful to you in graduate studies. I'd really be hesitant to select a university based on what you can get away with not learning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook