Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Philidelphea Experment.Real Physics?

1. Oct 4, 2006 #1
    Philidelphea Experment.......Real Physics?

There's this rumor of The Navy using this warship back in the 40s. Dubbed The Philidelphia Experiment The Navy supposedly used magnetic feilds to make a warship disapear. It was off the coast of Philly and the warship really did disapear into another dimension. It then reappeared in another spot. It's supposed to be a hyperspace teleportation experiment.

When it returned the med were reportedly melted in with the ship. THe ones who got out would become invisble then visible once a second.My question is did it really happen? Does it comply with any laws of Physics? Supposedly the technology was adopted from UFOs. It also had to do with Project Mantauk.

Do any of you believe this,know somebody who worked on it, or know it's pure fiction?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Pure fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_experiment

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  4. Oct 4, 2006 #3
    It doesn't come from a movie but an unidentified letter from someone who was supposedly in on it.

5. Oct 4, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I have the book, as well as a novel called 'Gone Zero' based upon the supposed event. While I have no knowledge of the actual experiment (even to whether or not it ever happened), I can say that the explanation offered in the original is bogus. They claimed that the frequency of the activities of both the ship and its crew was accelerated until they were vibrating at light speed. Keep in mind that the original idea was to make the ship invisible, not to move it. Considering that molecular motion is expressed as heat, it's obviously not possible that such vibrational speed could be achieved. The result would have been a star, even if relativity didn't prevent such vibrational speed for an object with mass.

edit: I just spotted Russ' post after mine got submitted. The movie was based upon the book, which came out several years earlier.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  6. Oct 4, 2006 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

This belongs in the Skepticism and Debunking forum. It's insulting to have it here in the General Physics forum. Can a mod please move it?

7. Oct 5, 2006 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most happily, you are absolutly correct.

Ivan, It is all yours.... Delete away!

8. Oct 5, 2006 #7
    Man I've seen this movie before. I demand a refund...

9. Oct 5, 2006 #8

J77

10. Oct 5, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This story begins in 1955, not 1990.

Wiki link

As per the S&D posting guidelines, this is a closed subject.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5929

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?