Philosophy of Science in Steampunk

In summary, this person is considering writing a paper on the philosophy of post-punk music, and is seeking opinions about the topic.
oyolasigmaz
hi everyone--

for the philosophy of science course, I am planning to write a paper, and wanted to hear opinions about my topic. I am not a philosophy student (math&physics), and haven't taken that much of philosophy courses, so I can't go real deep about any subject, but I want to apply what I have learned throughout the course. I was in general thinking about writing about EPR paradox and bell's theorem, or in other words about the philosophy of quantum (or philosophy of science in early 1900's), then this thing came up.

postpunk is a fantasy genre, generally speaking, which has its setting in late 1800's in britain, where steampower is still in use, and where Verne's or Wells' stories, and technologies, are real. I want to speak about the Kantian nature of such a thing is first of all, because obviously euclidean and Kantian ideas are on top, and quantum concepts like time travel and so are degraded to a more classical nature (such as in Wells' the time machine).

it seemed like a nice idea at first, as I have inspired upon our talk with the professor about frp, but I somewhat ran out of ideas. can anyone suggest some feature of steampunk that can be used in such a paper, in some philosophical content? I am open to any comments anyway.

thanks for reading this long--

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry to see that this never got replies. What angle did you end up taking on the topic?

I decided to go more classical, and now currently writing about Maxwell and van Fraasen on observation. It wasn't going to be deep enough, I guess.

oyolasigmaz said:
I decided to go more classical, and now currently writing about Maxwell and van Fraasen on observation. It wasn't going to be deep enough, I guess.

I would have liked to have engaged, but I didn't really understand your subject very well. I was thinking along the lines of identifying the aspects of Well's time machine that were consistent with some philosophical implications of theoretical physics of that time period, then identifying philosophical aspects that seem inconsistent with the theory of that time period. Then, survey the scene from the standpoint of contemporary physics. But, you probably were not interested in pursuing the Wells example.

Maxwell is certainly an interesting subject. He was great as an observationalist but also provided one of the greatest examples of developing a theory out of shear intuition and intellect--and the application of mathematical derivations (Maxwell's equations). This had implications for the philosophy of physics. And this of course caught Einstein's attention, and, noticing the curious implications about the speed of light, drove him to pursue his theory of Special Relativity.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm sorry I didn't specify that Maxwell is Grover Maxwell, an American philosopher of science (I just noticed there is not a wikipedia entry of him). In his "the Ontological Status of Theoretical Entities," he argues against different types of empiricism, and gives a solid defense of realism. Van Fraasen, afterwards, defines his own "constructive empiricism," which is neither empiricism (in the classical sense) nor realism (well, there is no need anyway). You can read some here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructive_empiricism

About the steampunk, I guess some of your thoughts would have been very useful to me, if I were to write. Well's time machine would have been an example, and what I was originally thinking was something like "how would steampunk affect the course of philosophy of science?" For instance, Kantians would have been very happy, with their Euclidean geometry and classical mechanics dominating.

Anyway, I decided to abandon this steampunk idea, though I liked it at first. It wasn't going to be philosophically creative, but more like a collection of ideas (sure there can be a creative one but I felt like I am not capable, about this topic).

Thanks for your interest, though, it is very much appreciated.

1. What is the concept of "Philosophy of Science" in Steampunk?

The concept of "Philosophy of Science" in Steampunk refers to the exploration and reflection on the role of science and technology in a steampunk world. It involves examining the values, beliefs, and ethical considerations surrounding the use and development of steampunk technology and how it impacts society.

2. How does Steampunk incorporate elements of both science and fantasy?

Steampunk combines elements of science and fantasy by imagining a world where advanced technology is powered by steam and gears, while also incorporating fantastical elements such as airships, robots, and alternate histories. It blurs the line between what is scientifically possible and what is purely imaginative.

3. What are some common themes found in the "Philosophy of Science" in Steampunk?

Some common themes in the "Philosophy of Science" in Steampunk include the impact of technology on society, the consequences of unchecked scientific progress, and the balance between progress and preservation of tradition. Other themes may also include the exploration of ethical dilemmas in the use of technology and the role of individual agency in shaping the future.

4. How does Steampunk challenge traditional views of science and technology?

Steampunk challenges traditional views of science and technology by presenting a world where steam-powered technology is the dominant force, rather than electricity or other modern advancements. It also challenges the idea that scientific progress always leads to positive outcomes, often depicting the negative consequences of unchecked technological advancement.

5. Can Steampunk be used as a critique of modern society's relationship with science and technology?

Yes, Steampunk can be used as a critique of modern society's relationship with science and technology. By presenting a world where technology is powered by steam and gears, it highlights the reliance and potential consequences of our reliance on electricity and other modern advancements. It also allows for reflection on the ethical implications of scientific progress and the balance between progress and preservation of tradition.