Philosophy of Science: Discussing Maths, Physics, Mind, & AI

In summary, the conversation covers topics such as the proper forum for discussing the philosophy of science and mathematics, the relationship between science, mathematics, and philosophy, and the role of psychology and neuroscience in the field of philosophy of mind. It also touches on the connection between information and physics, as well as the abbreviation "PhD" and its relation to philosophy.
shushi
Is this the proper thread to discuss the philosophy of science/physics (metaphysics/ontology/epistemology)? How about the philosophy of mathematics and logic? As a side note that I'm not sure if this information really relates to the connection between science maths and philosophy, but in my history of science readings of works from around the 18th and 19th century, scholars like Carl Friedrich Gauss would describe maths and theology as the "Queen of all Sciences".

And a side question, is analytic or theoretical physics under the field of philosophy of physics?
Such as when dealing with axioms, paradigms, and properly basic beliefs/assumptions, conducting meta-analysis studies, the debate between idealism realism nominalism antirealism instrumentalism of science and scientific theories and facts, Digital Physics theories, if the universe is a closed system or what came before/is outside the universe, if information is metaphysical and/or more fundamental than space-time, matter-energy and the fundamental forces?
Or how much does psychology, neuroscience have to do with the field of philosophy of the mind,
like when studying the mind and metacognition (written language and manifestation of symbolism and abstraction), what the relationship between the mind and brain are (like Cartesian-Substance Dualism, dual aspect idealism, Epiphenomenalism, non-Reductive Physicalism or Neutral Monism), or the relationship between data in mind/brains vs hardware/software of AIs, nature and nurture, libertarian free will vs determinism vs compatibilism, meta cognitive self-awareness of those diagnosed with tourette or aspergers or down syndrome, mental/cognitive force i.e. "mind over matter" phenomena of mind manipulating chemical composition of brain, Epistemological discussions on Perceptual Cognition/Visual Cortex/phenomenological experience of reality (subjectivism from myths [historical proper definition] and worldview of observers [like a religion, materialism, solipsism, scientism, physicalism, reductionism, etc.]), unified perception and visual binding problem, the map–territory relation or Kant's phenomenal vs Noemenal distinctions, the reliability of the human mind (since the human mind is involved in all experiments and measurements) in discovering scientific facts/knowledge (the debate of a priori/analytic epistemology vs empirical epistemology from limitations of knowledge such as from the Problem of Criterium, agrippa's trilemma, problem of universals, problem of bayesian knowledge, godel's incompleteness theorem (maths), tarski's undefinability theorem (logic), open question argument and fact-value distinction and is-ought dilemma (moral knowledge), quantum physics general theory of relativity incompatibility and the Heisenberg principle of uncertainty and the underdetermination problem (science))

And how much does the abbreviation Phd have to do with Philosophy? Although popular opinion is split on that, I guess there's some type of philosophy in everything I suppose :-p

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, and the point about information seems to come from some theoretical physicists and philosophers of science discussing Maxwell's Demon and Active Information (a termed coined by john polkinghorne) which more information on that is on the citation below (which I think there maybe an interesting connection with the measurement problem and the kochen specker theorem in quantum mechanics since the human observer is involved in the measurement if we consider the nature of information, which may also relate to the findings and phenomena from Sir Roger Penrose's work on quantum consciousness and microtubules, although I'm not sure since these are just some thoughts I had)
Szilard, Leo (1929). "Über die Entropieverminderung in einem thermodynamischen System bei Eingriffen intelligenter Wesen (On the reduction of entropy in a thermodynamic system by the intervention of intelligent beings)". Zeitschrift für Physik. 53 (11–12): 840–856.

You can find it cited and discussed in the Wikipedia article on Maxwell's demon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_demon.

Last edited:
Likes sysprog
shushi said:
Is this the proper thread to discuss the philosophy of science/physics (metaphysics/ontology/epistemology)?
It's your thread. Presumably you mean 'proper forum/subforum'. You could PM a moderator/mentor to get a definitive answer on that. My regular-member opinion is yes it is. But PF is not the Philosophy Forums; it's the Physics Forums, with some other sciences and mathematics included.
How about the philosophy of mathematics and logic?
That's a bit closer to the PF mission, but still pretty much same answer as above.
As a side note that I'm not sure if this information really relates to the connection between science maths and philosophy, but in my history of science readings of works from around the 18th and 19th century, scholars like Carl Friedrich Gauss would describe maths and theology as the "Queen of all Sciences".
Back then, 'science' was more frequently than it is today used for the more general notion of any reason-based discipline.
And a side question, is analytic or theoretical physics under the field of philosophy of physics?
Not really. First and foremost, those are sub-disciplines of Physics.
Such as when dealing with axioms, paradigms, and properly basic beliefs/assumptions?
That has more to do with foundations of mathematics and scientific method than with philosophy per se. If you're careful about it, all of that is fair game here.
And how much does the abbreviation Phd have to do with Philosophy?
You can get a PhD degree in any of a very broad range of academic disciplines. The term is an abbreviation for philosophiae doctor (Doctor of Philosophy), which roughly translated and interpreted means a 'person of highly advanced understanding and attainment' (doctor) in any discipline which requires strong liking for wisdom (in a broad sense of that term).
Although popular opinion is split on that, I guess there's some type of philosophy in everything I suppose :-p
It's a recognition of the idea from the ancient Greeks that 'Philosophers' included mathematicians and scientists as well as persons whom we would now call philosophers.

Likes russ_watters, BillTre and shushi
shushi said:
Is this the proper thread to discuss the philosophy of science/physics (metaphysics/ontology/epistemology)?
No, we no longer allow discussions about philosophy at the PF. Thread is closed.

From the Rules thread at the top of the General Discussion forum:
Evo said:
Purely speculative or philosophical discussions are no longer permitted and may be deleted or closed without warning or appeal.

Likes Evo

What is the philosophy of science?

The philosophy of science is a branch of philosophy that examines the assumptions, foundations, methods, and implications of science. It explores questions related to the nature of scientific knowledge, how it is acquired, and how it is used to understand the world around us.

How does mathematics relate to science?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in science, providing the language and tools for scientists to describe and analyze natural phenomena. It allows for precise measurements, predictions, and explanations of scientific phenomena. In many cases, mathematics is the foundation of scientific theories and models.

What is the role of physics in the philosophy of science?

Physics is often considered the foundation of the philosophy of science, as it deals with fundamental questions about the nature of reality and the laws that govern it. It provides a framework for understanding the physical world and has greatly influenced the development of scientific methods and theories.

What is the mind-body problem in philosophy of science?

The mind-body problem is a philosophical debate about the relationship between the mind (consciousness, thoughts, feelings) and the physical body. It questions whether the mind and body are separate entities or if they are interconnected in some way. This problem is often discussed in the context of understanding the nature of consciousness and how it relates to physical processes in the brain.

How does the philosophy of science relate to artificial intelligence (AI)?

The philosophy of science has a significant impact on the development and understanding of AI. It raises questions about the nature of intelligence, what it means to be conscious, and the ethical implications of creating intelligent machines. It also explores the limitations and potential dangers of AI and how it may impact our society and the future of humanity.