Phosphoric acid titration calculation

In summary: H3PO4 (aq) --> H+ (aq) + H2PO4− 2nd equiv pointH2PO4 (aq) --> H+ (aq) + H2PO4 2− 3rd equiv pointHPO4 2− (aq) --> H+ (aq) + PO43− But the 3rd doesn't really matter because it didn't show up on the titration graph.
tq1088

Homework Statement

The problem is that i am trying to find out the concentration of phosphoric acid in cola. I have completed the titration of 3 different types of cola. I have obtained the pH and volume on the titration graph. Note: I am trying to figure out the overall concentration of H3P04 first, not the H+ ions. I will do that later, but first i need to find the concentration of the H3P04. I have results like:

1st equivalence point: pH is 4.87 and Volume is 2.607

When 2.607ml of sodium hydroxide was added, the pH at the first equivalence point is 4.87.
The same follows for the second equivalence point.

2nd equivalence point: pH is 9.27 and Volume is 6.983.

Btw, the concentration of the sodium hydroxide is 0.1M and the amount of cola used is 50ml

The Attempt at a Solution

Note: The below example is with different values...from above

I have already done some calculating where i used a 3:1 ratio to find the concentration of the 1st and 2nd equiv point, but i think these are incorrect. For example i did this:

NaOH --> Volume is 1.964 (0.001964L) and Concentration is 0.1M H3P04 --> Volume = 50ml (0.05L) and concentration is unknown.

Ratio is 3:1 So 0.001964 x (1/3) = 6.54 X 10^-4

So H3P04 concentration is 6.54 x 10^-4 / 0.05

= 0.013M

I did the same for the 2nd equiv point but i used 3.286ml (0.003286ml) instead and i got 0.022M

I don't think this is correct because i need to find the overall concentration of the phosphoric acid.This is just one example of mine. I have much more results. If someone could help me calculate the concentration of the acid in the cola, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Homework Equations

This is the overall equation.

3NaOH + H3PO4 ->Na3PO4 +3H2O

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What has been neutralized at the first equivalence point? Write reaction equation - is it 3:1?

Do the same for the second equivalence point.

--

1st equiv point

H3PO4 (aq) --> H+ (aq) + H2PO4−

2nd equiv point

H2PO4 (aq) --> H+ (aq) + H2PO4 2−

3rd equiv point

HPO4 2− (aq) --> H+ (aq) + PO43−

But the 3rd doesn't really matter because it didn't show up on the titration graph.

The overall equation is

H3PO4 (aq) + 3NaOH (aq) --> Na3PO4 (aq) + H2O (l)

3:1 because the reaction occurs between 3 of NaOH and 1 of H3P04

and I am trying to find the overall concentration of the H3P04 and i got 2 equiv points on the titration graph.

Like the amount of NaOH needed to reach the 1st equiv point is 1.964ml. The pH was read at 5.14Then to reach the 2nd equiv point, 3.286 ml of NaOH is needed. The pH was read at 9.17

Geez, please read what I wrote and answer my question. I am not asking about overall reaction equation, I am asking what have been neutralized at the first equivalence point.

--

What is phosphoric acid titration calculation?

Phosphoric acid titration calculation is a method used to determine the concentration of phosphoric acid in a solution. It involves measuring the volume of a known concentration of a base solution needed to neutralize a known volume of the phosphoric acid solution.

Why is phosphoric acid titration calculation important?

Phosphoric acid is a commonly used acid in various industrial and scientific processes. Its concentration needs to be accurately determined in order to ensure the effectiveness and safety of these processes. Phosphoric acid titration calculation allows for this accurate determination.

What equipment is needed for phosphoric acid titration calculation?

The equipment needed for phosphoric acid titration calculation includes a burette, pipette, beaker, conical flask, and a pH indicator. A burette is used to accurately measure the volume of the base solution added to the phosphoric acid solution. A pipette is used to measure the volume of the phosphoric acid solution. The beaker and conical flask are used to hold the solutions, and a pH indicator is used to determine when the reaction is complete.

What is the calculation used for phosphoric acid titration?

The calculation used for phosphoric acid titration is based on the neutralization reaction between phosphoric acid and a base solution. The equation for this reaction is: H3PO4 + 3NaOH → Na3PO4 + 3H2O. By measuring the volume of the base solution needed to neutralize a known volume of the phosphoric acid solution, the concentration of the phosphoric acid can be calculated using the equation: M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the concentration of the base solution, V1 is the volume of the base solution used, M2 is the concentration of the phosphoric acid solution, and V2 is the volume of the phosphoric acid solution.

What are the sources of error in phosphoric acid titration calculation?

The sources of error in phosphoric acid titration calculation include inaccurate measurements of the solutions, improper mixing of the solutions, and errors in reading the burette or pipette. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the accuracy of the results. It is important to carefully follow the procedures and use calibrated equipment to minimize these sources of error.