Photo Contest - Iconic (3/21-3/27)

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of time management. The speaker emphasized the importance of prioritizing tasks and setting realistic goals. They also discussed the benefits of creating a schedule and using time-blocking techniques. The conversation ended with the reminder that time is a limited resource and it is crucial to use it wisely.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Iconic

Your photo show something iconic that is immediately recognized as a representation of a location. For example, the Eiffel Tower is iconic to Paris, the Golden Gate Bridge is iconic to San Francisco, the Forbidden City is iconic to Beijing, etc... The icon may also be a natural formation, such as Mount Fuji is iconic to Tokyo/Japan, and the Grand Canyon is iconic to the American west, etc.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawal by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Likes DennisN and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
The Arizona Monument at Pearl Harbor.
Arizona Memorial.jpg

Likes Janus, jtbell, davenn and 3 others
St. Basil's, Moscow
iconic---1.jpg

• Love
Likes DennisN, jtbell, BillTre and 3 others
BillTre said:
From a museum show about Star Wars stuff (4 or 5 feet across):

View attachment 259089

Note that the icon is representing a location, not a movie.

Zz.

The location is space! :wink:
In a galaxy far, far away.

• Haha
Likes berkeman, Wrichik Basu and Klystron
1388293223439.jpg

A popular replica of the Eiffel Tower beside the Paris Hotel on The Strip in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The Mirage reflecting pond in the foreground, currently between water music shows, is nearly as iconic a tourist destination as the original Tour.

This is my contest entry, extra pics below just for your information (JFYI).

Last edited:
Likes davenn and BillTre
Untitled-1.jpg

Likes DennisN, Klystron, davenn and 1 other person
BillTre said:
The location is space! :wink:
In a galaxy far, far away.

Sorry, but that photo does not qualify.

Zz.

• Sad
Likes BillTre
Very Milky Way-centric.

Very disappointed to see attitudes like that here at PF.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Klystron
El Capitan, Yosemite National park
Elcapitan.jpg

• Love
Likes DennisN, Klystron, jtbell and 4 others
Howrah Bridge over the Ganges.

p1060824-jpg.jpg

• Wow
Likes morrobay, BillTre, Klystron and 1 other person
Uluru ( Ayers Rock) central Australia

2014_12_26_2262sm.jpg

• Love
Likes DennisN, epenguin, DrClaude and 8 others
Not the Golden Gate Bridge, but also iconic of San Francisco:

iconic.jpg

• Love
Likes DennisN, DrClaude, Wrichik Basu and 3 others
jtbell said:

View attachment 259115

Definitely better than a picture of a box of Rice A Roni!

Zz.

• Haha
Likes Klystron
Now I've got that jingle from the old Rice A Roni TV commercials running through my head. :rolleyes:

Likes jedishrfu and Klystron
jtbell said:

View attachment 259115
The Powell Street cable car looks so small in this perspective, using the people for comparison. As a child I thought the cable cars were gigantic, at least the size of railroad cars. San Francisco has certainly spruced up the cable car turnabout.

I need to do some historical research but the new cable cars appear smaller than the heavy steel cars from 1950's. Passengers used to help the brakemen turn the cars with the conductor directing activity. Great fun!

Last edited:
Klystron said:
The Powell Street cable car looks so small in this perspective, using the people for comparison.
This perspective definitely shrinks the apparent length of the car. Looking at where the gripman on the right is standing, you can see that the car actually overhangs the edge of the turntable by 2 or 3 feet on each end.

Likes davenn and Klystron
Klystron said:
Did someone ask for the Golden Gate Bridge? I shot this pic from a hiking trail at the Point.

View attachment 259125

Close to 2Mb, so probably disqualified but unusual perspective on the second tower and Marin 'highlands' across San Francisco Bay.
which of your 2 photo submissions is the one for the contest ?

davenn said:
which of your 2 photo submissions is the one for the contest ?
Good question. Which do you think will gain the most votes?

Seriously, I am terrible at contests. I appreciate all the entries. Must be my Franciscan education.
Apologies to @ZapperZ. Going with my first post Paris Hotel Las Vegas.

Last edited:
Klystron said:

Seriously, I am terrible at contests. I appreciate all the entries. Must be my Franciscan education.
I like the GG bridge photo the best, so I'll go with that as my official entry. Apologies to @ZapperZ.
Vegas. The bridge is too much of a cliché.

fresh_42 said:
Vegas. The bridge is too much of a cliché.
Good point. Also I might get the sympathy vote with Las Vegas currently under quarantine. :cry:
OK, I will stick with the iconic Strip photo. Thanks.

Klystron said:

Apologies to @ZapperZ. Going with my first post Paris Hotel Las Vegas.

Please read rules 4 and 9.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Please read rules 4 and 9.

Zz.
Fixed. Thanks.

Klystron said:
I need to do some historical research but the new cable cars appear smaller than the heavy steel cars from 1950's.
Those were almost certainly electric streetcars powered by overhead wires, perhaps one of these:

PCC-type car, 1959 (lots more here)

L-Type car, 1958 (lots more here)

The cable cars are a mixture of originals from the 1890s, rebuilt at various times, and newer replicas built as recently as 2008. (roster)

Klystron said:
Passengers used to help the brakemen turn the cars with the conductor directing activity. Great fun!
I had the pleasure of doing that on my first visit to SF in 1977. :cool:

My pic in this thread is from my most recent visit in 1997. I'm long overdue for another one. Maybe next year...

Last edited:
Likes davenn and Klystron
fullsizeoutput_1315.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes DennisN, davenn, Klystron and 3 others
DSCN9686.jpeg

Toronto's CN tower (as seen from inside Rogers Stadium, which would also be iconic...)

Likes DennisN, davenn and Klystron
The Chicago Theater with the famous marquee.

IMG_3347.JPG

Zz.

Likes DennisN, DrClaude, morrobay and 1 other person
  • Haha
Likes DennisN, Bystander and Klystron
fresh_42 said:
Uh! Malmö!
Also Solvang in central California!

Malmo? Solvang? Must be imitations.

epenguin said:
Copies, naturally; from the Hans Christian Andersen folk tale. The city of Solvang is modeled as a small Danish village; the Little Mermaid replica intended as homage to the Old World, with excellent coffee and tasty pastries. Nearby Buellton features "Andersen's Famous Pea Soup Restaurant".

Also intended as humor. Wiki lists 13 replicas but I imagine more exist. I seem to remember a similar bronze statue at Stanford University sculpture garden among the Rodin's.

Last edited:
epenguin said:
Malmö was a joke. I tried to stay as close as possible.

• Haha
Likes Klystron
Klystron said:
Copies, naturally; from the Hans Christian Andersen folk tale. The city of Solvang is modeled as a small Danish village; the Little Mermaid replica intended as homage to the Old World, with excellent coffee and tasty pastries. Nearby Buellton features "Andersen's Famous Pea Soup Restaurant".

Also intended as humor. Wiki lists 13 replicas but I imagine more exist. I seem to remember a similar bronze statue at Stanford University sculpture garden among the Rodin's.
fresh_42 said:
Malmö was a joke. I tried to stay as close as possible.

I never said what it was - I thought I might withdraw from the contest if anyone asked!
I did not know about the copies nor the vandalisms, nor even that it is itself a copy till you informed me today.
She is certainly photogenic - all the descriptions concur with my impression of the moment, using words like 'unimposing'! But certainly iconic.

Likes Klystron
epenguin said:
I never said what it was - I thought I might withdraw from the contest if anyone asked!
I did not know about the copies nor the vandalisms, nor even that it is itself a copy till you informed me today.
She is certainly photogenic - all the descriptions concur with my impression of the moment, using words like 'unimposing'! But certainly iconic.
Please do not withdraw your little mermaid. The humor, history of vandalism, indeed the many copies, proves that the Copenhagen statue remains an international icon. She is beautiful.

My parents could not afford to send us to Europe for vacations but we visited Solvang every trip between Northern and Southern California and enjoyed the folklore associated with the local copy. Likewise, tourists who may never visit France enjoy the ambiance of the Paris Hotel and the replica Eiffel Tower on the Strip. Thanks.

Likes davenn
<h2>1. What is the theme of the photo contest?</h2><p>The theme of the photo contest is "Iconic". Participants are encouraged to submit photos that capture iconic moments, places, or objects that hold significance or cultural significance.</p><h2>2. Who can participate in the photo contest?</h2><p>The photo contest is open to anyone who has a passion for photography and is interested in capturing iconic moments. Both amateur and professional photographers are welcome to participate.</p><h2>3. How do I submit my photo for the contest?</h2><p>To submit your photo, you will need to follow the guidelines provided by the contest organizers. This may include uploading your photo to a specific website or social media platform, using a specific hashtag, or sending an email with your photo attached.</p><h2>4. What are the judging criteria for the photo contest?</h2><p>The judging criteria may vary depending on the contest, but generally, photos will be evaluated based on creativity, composition, technical skill, and how well they capture the theme of "Iconic". Judges may also take into consideration the story or message behind the photo.</p><h2>5. What are the prizes for the photo contest?</h2><p>The prizes for the photo contest may also vary, but they may include cash prizes, photography equipment, or the opportunity to have your photo featured in a publication or exhibition. Be sure to check the contest guidelines for specific details on the prizes.</p>

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Iconic". Participants are encouraged to submit photos that capture iconic moments, places, or objects that hold significance or cultural significance.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone who has a passion for photography and is interested in capturing iconic moments. Both amateur and professional photographers are welcome to participate.

3. How do I submit my photo for the contest?

To submit your photo, you will need to follow the guidelines provided by the contest organizers. This may include uploading your photo to a specific website or social media platform, using a specific hashtag, or sending an email with your photo attached.

4. What are the judging criteria for the photo contest?

The judging criteria may vary depending on the contest, but generally, photos will be evaluated based on creativity, composition, technical skill, and how well they capture the theme of "Iconic". Judges may also take into consideration the story or message behind the photo.

5. What are the prizes for the photo contest?

The prizes for the photo contest may also vary, but they may include cash prizes, photography equipment, or the opportunity to have your photo featured in a publication or exhibition. Be sure to check the contest guidelines for specific details on the prizes.