Photo Contest - Iconic (3/21-3/27)

  • Thread starter Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    photo contest
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 5K views
Malmo? Solvang? Must be imitations.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
epenguin said:
Malmo? Solvang? Must be imitations.
Copies, naturally; from the Hans Christian Andersen folk tale. The city of Solvang is modeled as a small Danish village; the Little Mermaid replica intended as homage to the Old World, with excellent coffee and tasty pastries. Nearby Buellton features "Andersen's Famous Pea Soup Restaurant".

Also intended as humor. Wiki lists 13 replicas but I imagine more exist. I seem to remember a similar bronze statue at Stanford University sculpture garden among the Rodin's.
 
Last edited:
epenguin said:
Malmo? Solvang? Must be imitations.
Malmö was a joke. I tried to stay as close as possible.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Klystron said:
Copies, naturally; from the Hans Christian Andersen folk tale. The city of Solvang is modeled as a small Danish village; the Little Mermaid replica intended as homage to the Old World, with excellent coffee and tasty pastries. Nearby Buellton features "Andersen's Famous Pea Soup Restaurant".

Also intended as humor. Wiki lists 13 replicas but I imagine more exist. I seem to remember a similar bronze statue at Stanford University sculpture garden among the Rodin's.
fresh_42 said:
Malmö was a joke. I tried to stay as close as possible.

I never said what it was - I thought I might withdraw from the contest if anyone asked!
I did not know about the copies nor the vandalisms, nor even that it is itself a copy till you informed me today.
She is certainly photogenic - all the descriptions concur with my impression of the moment, using words like 'unimposing'! But certainly iconic.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
epenguin said:
I never said what it was - I thought I might withdraw from the contest if anyone asked!
I did not know about the copies nor the vandalisms, nor even that it is itself a copy till you informed me today.
She is certainly photogenic - all the descriptions concur with my impression of the moment, using words like 'unimposing'! But certainly iconic.
Please do not withdraw your little mermaid. The humor, history of vandalism, indeed the many copies, proves that the Copenhagen statue remains an international icon. She is beautiful.

My parents could not afford to send us to Europe for vacations but we visited Solvang every trip between Northern and Southern California and enjoyed the folklore associated with the local copy. Likewise, tourists who may never visit France enjoy the ambiance of the Paris Hotel and the replica Eiffel Tower on the Strip. Thanks.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn