Photo Contest - You're So Cold, You're So Cold (8/9-8/15)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
41 replies · 20K views
CNV00017.jpg

Trees in the frost.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's one from my prior life. ( Note the lack of children in it). This is 16,000 ft up the West Buttress of Denali (That's Mount McKinley to some of you). This is a crevasse at a place called "windy corner." This is a photo of a Cibachrome print, so some of the texture of the glacier ice is lost. Oh to be that cold again (The next morning was 40 below zero, I can't remember if that was celsius of Faranheit).

Edit: Oh, forgot the picture!
Denali.jpg
 
Awesome pic Chi Meson, that looks just amazing! Oh and I could be wrong but I believe 40 below is the same in both celsius and farenheight.
 
scorpa said:
Oh and I could be wrong but I believe 40 below is the same in both celsius and farenheight.
Yes, that was the joke.

I just noticed you can see a little bit of our floor at the lower left corner of the shot. Try to ignore it.
 
The Matterhorn as seen from Gornergrat Station

No Zapper, the real one. :biggrin:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5513/matterhornbb9.jpg

Atop the mountain at Gornergrat (3,089 m), which is about as close to the middle of nowhere as one can get, there is an observatory, and a restaurant [really just a snack and coffee shop I guess] for those who take the gear driven train up the mountain from Zermatt. In the restaurant, we were helped by a girl who grew up about forty miles from us here in Oregon. She married Swiss and now lives at the top of the Alps.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
No Zapper, the real one. :biggrin:

You mean this one has no rollercoaster winding in and out of it?

How boring!

:)

Zz.
 
Chi Meson said:
Yes, that was the joke.

I just noticed you can see a little bit of our floor at the lower left corner of the shot. Try to ignore it.

Why is there a floor in the snow on that mountain? :rolleyes:
 
Rach3 said:
Why is there a floor in the snow on that mountain? :rolleyes:
He took a snapshot of a photo he printed. Easier than scanning it.
 
Thanks, Chi!

It was hard to pick one for this round. Most anything in my lab is associated with pretty low temperatures - 77K is actually the hottest cryogenic temperature commonly seen in the lab - but I figured it would take a very selective audience to "feel cold" when looking at a He-3 cryostat.

<waiting for Zz's pic of scary Disney ride>
 
Just a reminder that you have less than 2 days left to submit a picture for this contest. Brrrr...

Zz.