Photon energies from Planck-Einstein: confirmed in practice?

In summary, the Planck-Einstein relation between frequency or wavelength and energy for photons is not approximate, as a photon is a single-particle Fock state of the quantized electromagnetic field. However, the values of photon energies given by the equation are approximations due to the rejection of the classical Einstein photon and the modern description of photons through the quantization of the free electromagnetic field. This can be studied in textbooks such as "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" and "Quantum field theory and the Standard Model."
DavidReishi
I understand that the photon energies given by the Planck-Einstein relation, though highly precise, are approximations. But have they been confirmed at all experimentally or in practice? If so, across the board or just some of them?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by approximations? The energy-momentum relation for Photons ##E=|\vec{p}| c## is exact by definition (a photon is an asymptotic free one-photon Fock state).

I don't mean the energy-momentum relation. I mean the Planck-Einstein relation, i.e. between frequency or wavelength and energy.

There cannot be anything approximate here, because a photon is by definition a single-particle Fock state of the quantized electromagnetic field, but perhaps I don't understand you question right. Of course, the socalled old quantum theory by de Broglie and Einstein is obsolete. So there's no way to describe photons as particles (they don't even have a position observable in the strict sense) nor is there anything like "wave-particle duality" that makes sense in the context of modern relativistic quantum field theory!

vanhees71 said:
There cannot be anything approximate here, because a photon is by definition a single-particle Fock state of the quantized electromagnetic field, but perhaps I don't understand you question right.

Yeah, you misunderstood my question. I don't mean that the Planck-Einstein relation treats photon-energies as approximate. I mean that the values themselves of the photon-energies given by the equation, though very precise, are approximations. That is, the correspondence between frequency and energy given by the equation isn't perfect.

Of course, the socalled old quantum theory by de Broglie and Einstein is obsolete. So there's no way to describe photons as particles (they don't even have a position observable in the strict sense) nor is there anything like "wave-particle duality" that makes sense in the context of modern relativistic quantum field theory!

Good to hear, and I find those words very interesting. Can you point me to a good writer or two in whom such views, i.e. more or less rejection of the classical Einstein photon, are expressed most clearly?

The modern way of describing photons is through the quantization of the free electromagnetic field. The relations ##E=\hbar \omega## and ##\vec{p}=\hbar \vec{k}## follow from the decomposition of the electromagnetic field in momentum eigenmodes you also get the energy-momentum relation from the dispersion relation of electromagnetic waves, i.e., ##\omega = c |\vec{k}|##. Multiplying by ##\hbar## leads to ##E=c |\vec{p}|##, i.e., in momentum space the photon energy-momentum relation is that of a massless particle.

You can read about this in any textbook on relativistic quantum field theory. Some good introductory ones are

T. Lancaster, S. J. Blundell, Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur, Oxford University Press (2014)
Schwartz, M. D.: Quantum field theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University Press, 2014

but be warned. You need quite some knowledge about classical electrodynamics, special relativity, and non-relativistic quantum theory to understand relativistic QFT.

1. What is the significance of Planck-Einstein's theory in understanding photon energies?

The Planck-Einstein theory states that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency. This was a significant breakthrough in understanding the behavior of light and laid the foundation for quantum mechanics.

2. How was the theory of Planck-Einstein confirmed in practice?

The theory was confirmed through various experiments and observations. The most notable was the photoelectric effect, where the energy of a photon was observed to be directly proportional to its frequency, as predicted by the theory.

3. How does the confirmation of Planck-Einstein's theory impact our understanding of the behavior of light?

The confirmation of this theory solidified the concept of quantization of energy, which is essential in understanding the behavior of light and other particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It also helped to explain the dual nature of light as both a wave and a particle.

4. How does the Planck-Einstein equation relate to the energy of a photon?

The Planck-Einstein equation, E = hf, relates the energy of a photon (E) to its frequency (f) through the Planck constant (h). This equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the energy of photons.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding photon energies from Planck-Einstein's theory?

Understanding photon energies has led to advancements in technology, such as solar panels and lasers. It also plays a crucial role in fields like spectroscopy, where the energy of photons is used to analyze the chemical composition of materials.