Photon Energy for Muon Pair Production and Electron Wavelength Calculation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
mk9898
Messages
109
Reaction score
9

Homework Statement


What is the minimal amount of energy that a photon needs to create a muon pair?
What is the wavelength of an electron with the same total energy?
Tip: Muons have a rest mass of 1.9*10^-28kg and electrons 9.1*10^-31.

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to use this formula:

##E_{\gamma} = 2m_{\mu} c^2 + 2\frac{m^2_{\mu}}{m_{nucleus}}c^2##

but there is no atom given I cannot use m_nucleus.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you should set formulas aside and do a little bit of thinking. What quantities are conserved in this process?
 
I don't think that is the right formula.
$$E=h * f $$

That is how you find the energy of a particle. Where h is Planck's Constant and f is the frequency of the photon. Wavelength can be found using de Broglie.
$$ \lambda= \frac { h} {p}$$
 
Last edited: