Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photons and nonstandard analysis

1. Sep 14, 2015 #1
    Hi PF contributors,

Have there been attempts to apply nonstandard analysis to the behavior of photons? For instance, considering the mass of a photon to be infinitesimal.

I'm guessing the answer is yes so if you could provide references, I would be much obliged.

phoenixthoth

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2015 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Sep 14, 2015 #3
    Thanks for that. It looks like Brownian motion is the closest thing to an application of NSA to physics.

5. Sep 15, 2015 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

What is gained by considering the infinitesimal photon mass? Perhaps regularization of IR divergences? For that purpose, I guess the standard cutoff approach is much better, because it does not violate the gauge invariance.

Anyway, the cutoff is supposed to be "infinitely big", so it can be viewed as 1/infinitesimal, so it could also be treated by non-standard analysis.

6. Sep 15, 2015 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In all my exposure to Brownian motion (mostly mathematical), NSA was never mentioned.

7. Sep 16, 2015 #6

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Anything that can be done by NSA, can also be done by more conventional limits. Moreover, in the technical sense the conventional methods are usually simpler. A possible advantage of NSA is a more intuitive picture, but intuition is a matter of practice.

8. Sep 16, 2015 #7

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  9. Sep 17, 2015 #8
    Is there actually any merit to doing things with NSA? Does it make any calculations simpler?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook