Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photons violate Uncertainty Principle?

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    A photon is considered as a quantum particle, right?
    However since we know the speed of a photon(speed of light) and hence can predict its position, isn't it violating the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?
    Where am I going wrong? Is it false to believe that a photon is a quantum particle?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

isnt it momentum vs position? so even though we know its speed we might be limited in knowing its momentum (ie wavelength or its frequency) .

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

It's a bit difficult to talk about a photon's position since there doesn't exist a well-defined position operator for a photon.

For massive particles, there is a position operator, fulfilling the Heisenberg algebra
    [tex][\hat{x}_i,\hat{p}_j]=\mathrm{i} \hbar \delta_{ij}.[/tex]
    Then for any pure or mixed state the Heisenberg-Robertson uncertainty relation,
    [tex]\Delta x_i \Delta x_j \geq \frac{\hbar}{2} \delta_{ij}[/tex]
    holds. I tells you that the position and momentum of the particle both are not fully determined but distributed with a finite standard deviation, and the product of these standard deviations cannot be smaller than [itex]\hbar/2[/itex] if you consider position and momentum components in the same direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook