Photos of the June 7, 2011 solar eruption auroras

  • Thread starter Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Photos
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 5K views
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Messages
7,832
Reaction score
4,174
We Demand Photos!

It's may be too late, but:

June 7 there was a *massive* solar eruption:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/business-tech/science/110609/solar-flare-sun-earth-severe-weather-forecast-video

http://Earth'sky.org/space/dramatic-solar-flare-june-7-2011-aurora-alert-june-8-and-9

The resultant aurora borealis (and presumably aurora australis) last night and tonight are supposed to be amazing. It's been cloudy here in Cleveland, so I have to live vicariously through someone else...

Anyone?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org


Andy Resnick said:
It's may be too late, but:

June 7 there was a *massive* solar eruption:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/business-tech/science/110609/solar-flare-sun-earth-severe-weather-forecast-video

http://Earth'sky.org/space/dramatic-solar-flare-june-7-2011-aurora-alert-june-8-and-9

The resultant aurora borealis (and presumably aurora australis) last night and tonight are supposed to be amazing. It's been cloudy here in Cleveland, so I have to live vicariously through someone else...

Anyone?

And cloudy here in Tacoma, too! (Well it is Washington, after all :rolleyes:) I'm hoping some lucky PFer gets a shot of it!
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I think I'm http://www2.gi.alaska.edu/aurora_predict/worldmap6.html to see anything.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Andy Resnick said:
It's may be too late, but:

June 7 there was a *massive* solar eruption:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/business-tech/science/110609/solar-flare-sun-earth-severe-weather-forecast-video

http://Earth'sky.org/space/dramatic-solar-flare-june-7-2011-aurora-alert-june-8-and-9

The resultant aurora borealis (and presumably aurora australis) last night and tonight are supposed to be amazing. It's been cloudy here in Cleveland, so I have to live vicariously through someone else...

Anyone?

Here's what I see from my laptop:

http://planetsave.com/2011/06/09/large-solar-flare-erupts-with-coronal-mass-ejection-video/"
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Wait a minute...

Massive solar eruption?

It's nothing compared to something called the "Carrington Event" in 1859, a huge solar flare that set telegraph machines on fire

:bugeye:

I think I'll unplug the ol' pc and go to bed.

ps. It's cloudy here also.
 


Cloudy. Not that I live far north. Definitely south of all Alaskans (but north from all other Americans).
 


Can't see bugger all in the uk :/. Always the same.
 


well there is also a cloudy Day in Pakistan and weather is fine for the tour so we have decide to arrange a picnic today so we are going now for enjoyment in this lovely evening sights .
http://www.fashiontrends.pk"
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Clouds and rain all last night. That's alright. I have had enough astrophotography sessions ruined by aurorae not to be all that appreciative of them unless they are over-the-top.

One night in the late '70s, my wife and I were throwing a party in our rented farmhouse and I took a stroll outside because there was a line of women at the bathroom door. I had to run back inside and get everybody outside. The whole sky was lit up, and there was a pulsing red patch like a beating heart. Even today, people who were there might mention it when I see them. I ran up the phone bill that night calling everybody that I thought might be interested.
 
Last edited:
Some images of auroras are posted on National Geographic. Apparently this is a good period to observe auroras.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/09/pictures/110930-northern-lights-aurora-borealis-bright-colors/
 
Last edited by a moderator: