1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical Interpretation of a Vector Quantity

1. Jul 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If [itex]\mathbf{r}, \mathbf{v},\mathbf{a}[/itex] denote the position, velocity, and acceleration of a particle, prove that

[itex]\frac{d}{dt} [\mathbf{a} \cdot (\mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{r})] = \dot{ \mathbf{a}} \cdot (\mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{r})[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have already proven the result, but am now wondering the what the physical significance of this vector quantity is. I believe I have some idea:

The vectors [itex]\mathbf{v}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] create their own two dimensional subspace (a plane) in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex], with [itex]\mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{r}[/itex] being normal to this plane. The dot product of this with the acceleration vector [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex] gives the projection of the acceleration vector onto the normal vector, it is a measure of how parallel they are. If the dot product is zero, then this implies [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex] is orthogonal to the vector [itex]\mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{r}[/itex], and that it lies in the plane [itex]\mathbf{v}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] create. If it is not zero, then the this implies that the acceleration vector has a component lying in the plane, and a component parallel to the normal of the plane. This causes the particle to spiral away from the plane.

Does this seem correct?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you define your notation better?

The question says ##\mathbf{a}## denotes the position. In your solution you say it is the acceleration vector.

What do ##\mathbf{b}## and ##\mathbf{c}## have to do with the question?

And what are ##\mathbf{v}## and ##\mathbf{r}##?

:confused::confused::confused:

4. Jul 3, 2014 #3
    Whoops, I am terribly sorry. I just edited my original post.

5. Jul 3, 2014 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted