1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics behind climb cutting and conventional cutting

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    Hi guys:

For basic info: wikipedia: mill cutting : conventional cutting and climb cutting, there's a graph showing how a mill cutting cuts.

Yesterday in the shop my instructor taught me that climb cutting gives better surface finish than conventional cutting, yet it requires more load(torque). But I have yet to understand the physics behind it.

Wikipedia page's explanation is not that satisfying either, there's nothing that it says about climb cutting I cannot say the same about convention cutting. On the page it says that in conventional cutting is slides across the surface of the part hence dulling the tool, but if I understand this correctly when you are cutting, the tip of your tool is always sliding across the new surface you are creating as you are cutting, so I don't see how climb cutting is better than conventional to be honest.

What am I not seeing?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2
    The only reason I can possibly come up with , is that the chip in climb cutting acts as an mechanical leverage that allows the force to be distributed on more surface of the cutter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook