Design, Manufacture and Machining of Carbon composites for RC planes

In summary, Machining slots in composite parts can compromise the strength of the part, while using slots and reducing part size in production can help. Slot orientation is important when multiple layers are used.
RKD89
Hi Guys

Recently I have started a new hobby into RC planes. What I have noticed is extensive use of Carbon composites weight yet sturdy structures.

Now the problem is that these structures seem to be cut (milling/drilling/laser cutting/water jet cutting) from a sheet (or laminates) of carbon composites. Here are the problems:

1. Don't carbon composites have very bad wear properties. If nuts are too tightened , they not only tend to scratch the material but the laminate also often cracks. I have seen lots of immature hobbyists due that.
  2. There is often not enough material between the holes and the edge, ie critical holes for attachment are too close to the edge of the component. There does not seem to be enough fibre to support in-plane loads around the hole
  3. There are often slots in the components to reduce weight (topology optimization?). They seem to be machined later into the sheet rather being included in the original manufacturing. I am assuming they either buy off the shelf prepeg sheets and cut them as and when required. Shouldn't a better practice be to incorporate in the holes/slots directly in the original manufacturing method (say making a proper mold for hand layup or vacuum bagging instead and avoid machining altogether).
I understand, hobbies don't require such detailed engineering and need to be cost effective, but I want to know how a professional would do it? Here are some of opinions on the same, kindly correct me where ever I am off the track.

1. Composite ideally should not be joined by bolts. In cases bolts seem the most economical option, at least washers should be used to redistribute the loading over a larger area?
  2. Holes near edges is poor design. There is should be enough material ( in terms of number effective load carrying fibres ) around a hole/slot. Is there any empirical relation for that (both for woven and single direction fibres). Or do we just use appropriate stress concentration factors as we do with most metals?
  3. Any tips on incorporating the slots/holes in the original composite manufacturing process, rather than machining them later (irrespective of how complicate the mold might become).

Looking forward to suggestions from you guys.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi RKD89...

Interesting post and thread here.
To start, I am not an Aeroplane guy. I build and race RC cars but the subject of your post I do have some experience with.
I hand laminate parts for my cars and also machine them, Either my own design or improvements on existing designs.

While I believe you are right on with part strength being compromised by machining, I personally use machining slots and part size reduction for the prototype part only. Production parts being formed via Vacuum Bagging technique incorporating the improvement's (ie: the machining work) once proven.
Hole strength can also be an issue as you have pointed out. Washers is a good idea where space is restricted. Greater thickness of material used can help alot.
I do think the stresses place on the composite part has to be analyzed before contemplating the viability of CF (composite) use for the part involved.

How are you getting on in your hobby?

Regards
BM

Thank you BM for your reply.

How do you in corporate slots in your final design (to be vacuum bagged directly)? Most of the DIY/online videos are usually for sheets/curved plate types only. Can you share your work? I am looking to make typical truss like shapes (think a rectangle with only one diagonal/ the triangular slots to be incorporated directly in the primary manufacturing process and not machining).

Do you try to incorporate fibers in orientations other than 0/90?

Never knew RC cars needed composites. I am a newbie in this hobby but hope to build my own frame one day (preferably of composites).

Thanks for the reply

Once final in design the mold incorporates the slots directly. I usually machine bosses to be used in the mold.
I also like the first layer of fabric to be slightly too big in the slot area... the boss so as it curves into the recess or radius of the boss/ mold. Subsequent layers lying within this first, radius'd layer. If you get what I mean.
Its a lot easier to do this work with pre-preg' fabric
As far as orientation of fibre's / twill I usually stay with 90 degree's unless multiple layers (Less then say 4.) Are used but high strength needed then I will orient at 33 degrees each time to achieve max strength.

Regards
BM

What are carbon composites and why are they used in RC planes?

Carbon composites are materials made up of carbon fibers that are embedded in a matrix, usually a polymer resin. They are used in RC planes because they are lightweight, strong, and have a high strength-to-weight ratio, making them ideal for use in aerospace applications.

How are carbon composites designed and manufactured for RC planes?

The design and manufacture of carbon composites for RC planes involves several steps. First, the desired shape and size of the part are determined using computer-aided design (CAD) software. Then, carbon fibers are laid out in the desired orientation and impregnated with resin. The composite is then cured under heat and pressure to create a strong and rigid structure.

What is the machining process for carbon composites in RC planes?

The machining process for carbon composites in RC planes involves using specialized tools, such as diamond-coated drills and cutters, to cut and shape the composite material. The process requires precision and careful control of cutting parameters to prevent damage to the delicate carbon fibers.

What are the advantages of using carbon composites in RC planes compared to other materials?

Carbon composites offer several advantages over other materials, such as metal or wood, for use in RC planes. They are significantly lighter, have higher strength and stiffness, and can be designed to have specific properties, making them ideal for use in high-performance applications. They are also more resistant to corrosion and fatigue, making them more durable in the long run.

What are the challenges in using carbon composites for RC planes?

Although carbon composites offer many benefits, there are also some challenges in their use for RC planes. These include the high cost of materials and manufacturing, the need for specialized tools and techniques for machining, and the potential for delamination or other forms of damage if not handled and maintained properly.