Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Forums mobile on an IPad

1. Jul 4, 2010 #1
    Hi everyone—and happy 4th of July.

Anyways, I use my IPad to browse Physics Forums a lot, and for some reason it always brings up the mobile version of the website. The mobile version is awesome on the iphone, but the IPad screen is large enough I think that the regular version would be easier to use.

As for my question: is there any way I can switch it to regular? I've tried to use the button at the bottom left of the page, but this does not work. Does anyone know why?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2010 #2
    It may be possible if the Ipad has a different agent string as the ipod

4. Jul 5, 2010 #3
    I have the same problem

5. Jul 6, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The iPad's user agent string is "Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B367 Safari/531.21.10".

6. Jul 6, 2010 #5
    I'm afraid I'm not computer savvy enough to understand the second and fourth posts, but thank you for replying. I'll try and google some of those terms and see if I can figure them out.

7. Jul 6, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Oh, it's nothing you can really do on your end, Perspicacity. The agent string is something the forum software can use to see that you're using an iPad and send the appropriate version of the pages. You just have to wait until the admins get a chance to modify the forum's code.

8. Jul 7, 2010 #7
    Thanks! I guess I'll just mobile for now, and keep checking.

9. Jul 7, 2010 #8

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

The mobile version (on my Android phone) shows a "Normal" button at the bottom. Perhaps you can somehow "bookmark" the link that button refers to on your iPad?

Later: I retract that suggestion. On my phone the button just links to the PF homepage, but still in the mobile version. Perhaps there is an URL-parameter that forces the normal version? Or is it not implemented?

Later again: If PF uses the plugin mention in http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=226946 then that explains why the normal button doesn't work.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  10. Jul 17, 2010 #9
    Well, problem still persists.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook