Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Forums ratings killed every new year!

1. Jul 3, 2009 #1
    http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/physicsforums.com

Look at those drops! Apparently everyone is too busy popping champagne bottles open on the new year to help kids figure out projectile motion. I bet the trend will happen again in 2010! :eek: What will we do!? Who will explain to the Calculus I student that the +C at the end of an indefinite integral means the speed of light!? We're doomed!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2009 #2
    I'll most likely be working so I will be here.

Edit: I don't know my Calculus though, sorry.

4. Jul 3, 2009 #3
    That graph appears a stationary, with a mean of about 0.015%.

5. Jul 3, 2009 #4
    The drop in 2009 was smaller than 2008 and using bit better extrapolation than this one:
    extrapolating.png
    the drop in 2010 will be more smaller/

P.S. I think the drop comes some time earlier than the new year (like during Christmas)
    2) You need to select max from the drop down below the chart to see the drops.

6. Jul 4, 2009 #5

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

pf_the_bloop.jpg

Are there that many people interested in "the bloop" that it should make the top 10 list?

7. Jul 4, 2009 #6
    I had to look it up to even figure out what it was.

8. Jul 4, 2009 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The really cool people are here on New Years. It's the annual Nyquil (one of us is always sick) and Near Beer soiree.
    :)

9. Jul 4, 2009 #8
    Why not go whole hog?

10. Jul 4, 2009 #9
    I like how on the side the "three month change" has -8% and then a down arrow...
    Yes, I get amused by trivial things...

Anyway, whats with that drop in the May - August period? And where does this site get these statistics from? (I'm quite curious about the last one. I notice there is an editing button for the owner. Maybe it has something to do with that?)

11. Jul 4, 2009 #10

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Alexa traces traffic on computers with installed alexa toolbar.

May-August is summer, students keep themselves away from books and integrals.

12. Jul 4, 2009 #11

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The graph also shows a drop happening last fall, around October. Could have to do with our move to the new server.

13. Jul 4, 2009 #12

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

As an ex-submariner, I was quite embarrassed to not know what it was, until I saw it wasn't heard until 1997. I got out in 1983. What's the name of our newest submariner? Ah ha! https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2148032#post2148032". Let's ask him if there's been an increase in Bloop activity. He's a sonarman as I recall. He'd know.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  14. Jul 4, 2009 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  15. Jul 4, 2009 #14
    Well, I havent been a member for long so im not sure if I qualify for the position... but I'm quite sick with a sinus infection so ill be lurking around the forums tonight! :tongue2:

16. Jul 4, 2009 #15

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow. Last years New Years chat was outstanding. :cool: What I remember of it. I think you were there. :confused:

17. Jul 4, 2009 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But the St Valentine's Day one was epic...

18. Jul 4, 2009 #17

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember that. Very very cool. Isn't that about the time you turned green?

19. Jul 4, 2009 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A little bit before, I think...and IIR, that was when we went to an alt site to test its profanity filter. I will never see (a certain PFer) the same way again. Sigh...good times.

20. Jul 4, 2009 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Awww. Hope you are feeling better. I've been laid up trying to heal a hurt leg, but I will hobble out to the patio and light some 4rth of July sparklers for us.

21. Jul 4, 2009 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I was, too. But the details are fuzzy after all the near beer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook