Physics misused in advertising (that most people wouldnt notice)

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: I couldn't take it anymore. I had to turn it off.In summary, an advertisement using Kelvin correctly cracked me up. A scientist explained how Quantum mechanics can be explained by invoking the hand of God in an ad for a medication, and another ad using Kelvin incorrectly made me nauseous. Close.
franznietzsche said:
That doesn't make it inert. Any metal will react with it, and many nonmetals will form compounds with ti as well. Its is far from inert.

I'm trying to figure out what's on the inside of the tire that isn't on the outside that would be of concern for reacting with air anyway. :confused: I've never had a tire wear out from the inside, it's the tread wear on the outside that does them in, and if you aren't driving and just letting the tires sit around on a clunker car, 1) who cares, and 2) they'll still dry rot from the outside in.

Physics news on Phys.org
motai said:
"Let the fresh fruits revitalize your hair, leaving your hair feeling renewed to start your wonderful glorious day."

Quite odd considering most shampoos have either sodium laurel sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate as their main ingredient, and whatever fruits extracts they do have provide little more than fragrance :biggrin: . Obvious advertisement ploy.

You have to watch just how they word it. They most often say that the shampoo works with micro fruit oils (Micro f**king fruit oils?) to repair damaged hair etc... They do not say the micro fruit oils (Really? micro fruit oils? what in the hell is a micro fruit oil supposed to be? Regular oil but smaller?) work to repair hair, but say the shampoo works to do it, and the micro fruit oil (why in the hell would I want a shampoo to make my hair oily?) just happens to be with it at the time.

matthyaouw said:
You have to watch just how they word it. They most often say that the shampoo works with micro fruit oils (Micro f**king fruit oils?) to repair damaged hair etc... They do not say the micro fruit oils (Really? micro fruit oils? what in the hell is a micro fruit oil supposed to be? Regular oil but smaller?) work to repair hair, but say the shampoo works to do it, and the micro fruit oil (why in the hell would I want a shampoo to make my hair oily?) just happens to be with it at the time.

Are you referring to those commercials which have the small beads of "micro oils" infusing into damaged hair? I personally can't tell the difference between most shampoos, so I tend to go generic.

micro fruit oils are not small oils, they are regular oil, but come from micro fruit. duh

I love shampoo adverts. I think my ideal job would be to invent ridiculous pop science for these things. My favourite is Pantene Pro V.

"90% more softness", "85% more shine", "95% damage repair", "65% less frizz" and "hair looking up to 35% thicker" are just some of the gems on their website at the moment.

So, chemists, what's the SI unit of frizz these days? And just who are 'boswellox' and 'ceraneutrides' attributed to? And whereabouts in the periodic table is 'neutrillium' supposed to fit?!

Hmmm, micro strawberries, all the flavour and joy of regular strawberries, but without the bedroom utility...

Oh, wait...

I think the Mach razor ad was Mach 13, but I could be wrong. Also, in regards to the 'unit of frizz' comment, I guess they could take some sort of survey ranking different hairs...but even then that wouldn't be scientific. But on a more serious note, has anyone ever dreamed of inventing units and measurements for things like this? I have a little bit.

Last edited:
It was Mach 3. I actually use that one, its pretty good.

KingNothing said:
I think the Mach razor ad was Mach 13, but I could be wrong. Also, in regards to the 'unit of frizz' comment, I guess they could take some sort of survey ranking different hairs...but even then that wouldn't be scientific. But on a more serious note, has anyone ever dreamed of inventing units and measurements for things like this? I have a little bit.

One of my friends and I were discussing stuffed animals once. It was in relation to online shopping, because we were saying you can't buy stuffed animals online since the feel is so important to the choice. So, we were coming up with a new unit of measure, the squishability index. The higher the number, the more squishable. :biggrin:

brewnog said:
I love shampoo adverts. I think my ideal job would be to invent ridiculous pop science for these things. My favourite is Pantene Pro V.

"90% more softness", "85% more shine", "95% damage repair", "65% less frizz" and "hair looking up to 35% thicker" are just some of the gems on their website at the moment.

So, chemists, what's the SI unit of frizz these days? And just who are 'boswellox' and 'ceraneutrides' attributed to? And whereabouts in the periodic table is 'neutrillium' supposed to fit?!

Okay, I don't care what they put in the shampoo, but if you had long hair like I do, you begin to acquire an appreciation for differences in shampoos. But, what I've noticed is no one shampoo works in all conditions, it really depends more on how a particular shampoo works in combination with the hardness of your water and the humidity of the environment. When it's wintertime and very dry, the oils added to the shampoo do help to keep hair softer feeling instead of feeling all dry and frizzy. I don't really care if they come from micro fruits or macro fruits :biggrin:

But, yeah, shampoo commercials are pretty funny. The only thing micro fruits seem to do is to make the shampoo smell pretty...or pretty nasty. I can't stand those overly perfumed shampoos like Pantene. Though I really do like the scent of Herbal Essence. It didn't do much for my hair though. I think Suave shampoos are some of the best, and oddly enough, they are always among the cheapest.

brewnog said:
So, chemists, what's the SI unit of frizz these days?

:smile:

That one made me laugh.

I have a problem with some shampoo's that have urea as an ingredient. Call me crazy but when I'm in the shower I'm the one doing the peeing.
Anyone tried the vibrating Mach 3? I like it, hate shaving, like the razor though.

Moonbear said:
One of my friends and I were discussing stuffed animals once. It was in relation to online shopping, because we were saying you can't buy stuffed animals online since the feel is so important to the choice. So, we were coming up with a new unit of measure, the squishability index. The higher the number, the more squishable. :biggrin:

Actually, I suppose you could do some sort of comparison based on how much % air by volume is in the animal.

Also, just to add to the thread, anti-cigarette ads misuse chemicals all the time. And if not misuse, abuse, by saying things like "this chemical is used in drano, and this one is used in toilet bowl cleaner". I'm sure someone who wanted to support cigarettes could come up with an argument citing ingredients that are in apples and oranges and such as well.

Last edited:
I don't know the name of the show, but I was just flipping through the channels. Lifetime channel. some guy is describing a girl he killed and and says "there was a rope burn right above her Adam's apple."

I probably wouldn't have caught that while flipping channels. Nice one.

it is on right now. Shannon Doheufgheikleih, Shannon Daugheoaqoherhj, that girl from 90210, is the star.

I don't get it...what's wrong with a rope burn above someone's adam's apple?

KingNothing said:
I don't get it...what's wrong with a rope burn above someone's adam's apple?

I don't get it either.

Women aren't supposed to have Adam's apples ("Adam's", get it?). Of course they have voice boxes but in most women they are not so obvious on the outside as they are in most men.

lol, you been kissing girls with Adam's apples? maybe late at night, bar's getting ready to close? some lady with an adam's apple and five o'clock shadow has been hitting on you all night? She's looking mighty fine through your beer goggles? You go out to your car and make out, she pleasures you, but won't let you touch her bulge?
Don't worry, we've all been there.

tribdog said:
lol, you been kissing girls with Adam's apples? maybe late at night, bar's getting ready to close? some lady with an adam's apple and five o'clock shadow has been hitting on you all night? She's looking mighty fine through your beer goggles? You go out to your car and make out, she pleasures you, but won't let you touch her bulge?
Don't worry, we've all been there.

Be nice trib, they're inexperienced high school kids. Those nightmares haven't caught up with them like they havewithyou. Now just take three deep breaths, and repeat your mantra...

But yeah, women aren't supposedto have Adam's apples guys. You might want to reevaluate your girlfriends real quick.

And its Shannon Doherty. Come 'on trib she's not that hot,you should still be able to spell her name while drooling over her.

ek said:
:smile:

That one made me laugh.
:smile: :smile: yep, me too.

Moonbear said:
Okay, I don't care what they put in the shampoo, but if you had long hair like I do, you begin to acquire an appreciation for differences in shampoos. But, what I've noticed is no one shampoo works in all conditions, it really depends more on how a particular shampoo works in combination with the hardness of your water and the humidity of the environment. When it's wintertime and very dry, the oils added to the shampoo do help to keep hair softer feeling instead of feeling all dry and frizzy. I don't really care if they come from micro fruits or macro fruits :biggrin:

But, yeah, shampoo commercials are pretty funny. The only thing micro fruits seem to do is to make the shampoo smell pretty...or pretty nasty. I can't stand those overly perfumed shampoos like Pantene. Though I really do like the scent of Herbal Essence. It didn't do much for my hair though. I think Suave shampoos are some of the best, and oddly enough, they are always among the cheapest.
I didn't know that about the shampoo varities! I had Suave's coconut shampoo, its smell was so strong I threw most of it down the drain.

I saw an ad a couple days ago that was an animation where a diver was jumping on a diving board then magically jumped off at about -30 degrees, or the opposite direction she should have gone.

Very weird indeed.

There's an ad for Baileys over here and it's set in a zero-gravity bar. Interestingly, the people and the alcohol are floating, yet the bar's furniture isn't. Also, yesterday I saw a Paco Rabanne fragance for men that was called "Ultraviolet". Hmm..

Nylex said:
There's an ad for Baileys over here and it's set in a zero-gravity bar. Interestingly, the people and the alcohol are floating, yet the bar's furniture isn't.

Nails and glue work wonders in such situations. :P

Nylex said:
There's an ad for Baileys over here and it's set in a zero-gravity bar. Interestingly, the people and the alcohol are floating, yet the bar's furniture isn't. Also, yesterday I saw a Paco Rabanne fragance for men that was called "Ultraviolet". Hmm..

LOL! Did you ever notice that in movies or commercials, whenever they are trying to show something in zero-gravity, all liquids pour UP? And, well, they POUR.

motai said:
"Let the fresh fruits revitalize your hair, leaving your hair feeling renewed to start your wonderful glorious day."

Quite odd considering most shampoos have either sodium laurel sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate as their main ingredient, and whatever fruits extracts they do have provide little more than fragrance :biggrin: . Obvious advertisement ploy.

Now with neutrileum.