Physics Relativity/Power Question?

• Thread starter justinh8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, to generate 3 x 10^3 MW of thermal power, which is equivalent to 3 x 10^9 J/s, a fusion reactor must produce 1.0683 x 10^21 fusion reactions per second, based on the energy released per fusion reaction of 2.808 x 10^-12 Joules.
justinh8
Physics Relativity/Power Question??

Homework Statement

When a fusion power reactor is possibly created, it is expected to produce about 3 x 10^3 MW of termal power. If a fusion reaction produces 2.808 x 10^-12 Joules, how many fusion reactions must occur per second to generate this power?

The Attempt at a Solution

What i did was 3 x 10^9 J/s / 2.808 x 10^-12 J. But my problem is that if i do that i will only get seconds and not reaction per seconds. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

justinh8 said:

Homework Statement

When a fusion power reactor is possibly created, it is expected to produce about 3 x 10^3 MW of termal power. If a fusion reaction produces 2.808 x 10^-12 Joules, how many fusion reactions must occur per second to generate this power?

The Attempt at a Solution

What i did was 3 x 10^9 J/s / 2.808 x 10^-12 J. But my problem is that if i do that i will only get seconds and not reaction per seconds. Please help.

The key to the question is in red above. So presumably the answer will have units s-1.

When you do your calculations, looking an the units, it is (Js-1) divide (J) which gives s-1, which seems like a good start.

By the way, the "reactions" in "reactions per second" is a count, so has no dimensions.

Ok, can you tell me if this is correct: N = the number of reactions and Eo = 2.808x10^-12J
P = 3.0 × 10 ⁹ W = 3.0 × 10 ⁹ J / s
P = E / t --> E = P t
E = N E₀ --> N = E / E₀
N = P t / E₀ … --> … N / t = P / E₀ = [ 3.0 × 10 ⁹ J / s ] / [ 2.808 × 10 ^⁻ 12 J ]
N / t = 1.0683 × 10 ^21 / s
Is this correct?

justinh8 said:
Ok, can you tell me if this is correct: N = the number of reactions and Eo = 2.808x10^-12J
P = 3.0 × 10 ⁹ W = 3.0 × 10 ⁹ J / s
P = E / t --> E = P t
E = N E₀ --> N = E / E₀
N = P t / E₀ … --> … N / t = P / E₀ = [ 3.0 × 10 ⁹ J / s ] / [ 2.808 × 10 ^⁻ 12 J ]
N / t = 1.0683 × 10 ^21 / s
Is this correct?

it looks to be about the right size.

EDIT: Though you were not asked for the value of N/t, you were asked "how many fusion reactions per second, so a better answer would be

There would be 1.0683 × 10 ^21 fusion reactions per second.

If a question is asked in words, it should be answered in words.
If the question was "what is the number of fusion reactions per second, then you would give just the number.

Did i do it correctly in terms of the units? So basically isn't it just 3.0 × 10 ⁹ J / s / 2.808 × 10 ^⁻ 12 J?

justinh8 said:
Did i do it correctly in terms of the units? So basically isn't it just 3.0 × 10 ⁹ J / s / 2.808 × 10 ^⁻ 12 J?

Yes.

What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a cornerstone of modern physics, developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion, and that the speed of light is always constant.

What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial (non-accelerating) reference frames, while general relativity expands this to include non-inertial frames, such as those experiencing gravity. General relativity also includes the concept of curved spacetime, whereas special relativity does not.

How does time dilation work in special relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by special relativity, where time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This means that a moving clock will appear to tick slower than a stationary clock, and the effect becomes more pronounced as the speed approaches the speed of light.

What is the equation for calculating relativistic energy?

The equation for calculating relativistic energy is E = mc², where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This equation shows the relationship between mass and energy, and is a key aspect of special relativity.

How does general relativity explain the phenomenon of gravity?

According to general relativity, gravity is the result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. This means that objects with mass cause a distortion in the fabric of spacetime, and other objects will follow this curvature and move towards the source of the distortion.