1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Year 12, Need Some Advice

1. Dec 20, 2008 #1
    Hey Guys,

Well, I've decided to do Physics In year 12, but i haven't done it in year 11. Now I've always been interested in physics a whole deal and i did particulary well in Introductory Calculus in year 11, what i was wondering is in preparation for year 12 physics, do you guys/girls have any sites i could use for revision and an outline of the course.

Please and Thank you

:)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF Matty.

You say that you haven't done physics in year eleven, but I'm sure that you did some kind of combined science - perhaps the GCSE Double award? If this is the case, then you will have covered all the pre-requisite material in your GCSE. With respect to the Mathematics aspect of AS-Level physics there is very little you need to know above and beyond GCSE maths. That said, even though AS-Level mathematics isn't a requirement for AS-Level physics I would recommend taking at least AS-Level mathematics, with the Mechanics option if it is available to you. This will really help when it comes to the mathematics aspect of AS-Level physics, you'll cover the required methods in far greater detail than is required for the physics course and the physics should seem easy to you.

With respect to a course outline, check out your exam board's website (AQA, EdExcel etc.). Exam boards usually post course specifications on their website. I would also recommend going and speaker to one of your physics teachers, they'll probably be able to advise you best as to what to expect from AS-Level physics.

4. Dec 20, 2008 #3
    You don't need to prepare much for Physics, as long as you have common sense and you can think logically you're good.

If you want a quick review of vectors, kinematics, momentum, energy/work, have a 5 minute look at www.sparknotes.com

5. Dec 21, 2008 #4
    aha, alrighty guys, thanks for the help very much appreciated.

:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?