Picking a Tent: Prism-Shaped Choice of 2.4m or 250cm

  • Thread starter Thread starter Faxali
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Choice
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Faxali
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Warning: Template not used; No solution attempt
You and your friend will camp during the summer and going to buy a tent that has the form of
a prism . The store has two different tents that you choose from. Which tent will you buy.

Tent 1: 2.4 m long, 220 cm wide and 12 dm tall.
Tent 2: 250 cm long , 21 dm wide and 1.15 m high
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Faxali said:
You and your friend will camp during the summer and going to buy a tent that has the form of
a prism . The store has two different tents that you choose from. Which tent will you buy.

Tent 1: 2.4 m long, 220 cm wide and 12 dm tall.
Tent 2: 250 cm long , 21 dm wide and 1.15 m high

What is the figure of merit? I.e. is this a casual friend or a "close" friend to whom you would like to become closer? Is weight a factor? What are we minimizing or maximizing?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: AlephNumbers
I need to know which one I should buy. Which one is bigger.
 
Faxali said:
I need to know which one I should buy. Which one is bigger.

These are all triangular prisms, I assume. The volume would be the area of the triangular face (0.5 * base * height) times the length. Convert everything to the same units (i.e. meters) and you will be comparing volumes in identical units i.e. cubic meters.