Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pilot wave models and "no cross" rule

1. Oct 14, 2014 #1
    From my understanding, average trajectories based on weak "measurements", obey the 'no-crossing rule'. These average trajectories strongly resemble the single-photon trajectories predicted by Bohmian mechanics:
    For instance compare these average trajectories:
    http://materias.df.uba.ar/labo5Aa2012c2/files/2012/10/Weak-measurement.pdf

with Bohmian ones:

Since the trajectories were formed by connecting 'average' velocity vectors, does it then imply that some of actual individual trajectories (within any realist pilot wave model-Bohmian or otherwise) can cross the center line? I'm asking because in some pilot-wave analogs of QM (Couder-type walking droplet experiments), crossing over does occur. I'm guessing I messed this up, and in fact, crossing over at individual trajectory level is fully compatible with no-crossing over at the average level?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2014 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

First, the weakly measured trajectories do not merely resemble single-particle Bohmian trajectories. They are equal to them.
    Second, there is a general theorem that Bohmian trajectories never cross in space if the wave function is stationary. For a non-stationary wave function the crossing in space is possible, but even than there is no crossing in space-time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook