Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pittsfield Vermont Death Race and Ultramarathon

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1

rhody

Gold Member

Finding http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mt31BAEwto&feature=related" and moving beyond them, would you ? That is by far the sickest challenge I have ever heard of, leave it to a bunch of Yankee's from the Berkshires to dream up something like this.

Rhody... :cry: :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2011 #2

rhody

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  4. Sep 3, 2011 #3
    The wheelbarrow assembly instructions are in Chinese.

5. Sep 3, 2011 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My wife has done that ultramarathon (I get to wear the shirt! Too big for her)

She tried to talk me into doing the death race, and I almost did, but my ankle was bothering me that year. Still thinking of doing it next year!

6. Sep 3, 2011 #5

rhody

Gold Member

Chi,

Which one, the Pittsfield, or the Spartan ?

Rhody...

7. Sep 3, 2011 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

She did the full Pittsfield Peaks 50 miler. I did the wimpy 10 miler and it was still the most F*ed up 10 miles ever. I have a particular talent for running downhill on trails. One day I'll bust my head open. But this race messed up the downhills with the most absurd switchbacks you've ever seen. The uphills were straight up 50 degree slopes, but the downhills had dozens of hairpin switchbacks that sucked out all the momentum. Right at the end, the last mile, you think its all over, and then another 200 foot ascension at 45+ degrees. It was the same for those finishing the 50 miles. These race directors are messed up!

We got nice welded spike trophies for finishing. They make great candlesticks.

8. Sep 10, 2011 #7

rhody

Gold Member

Yes, Chi, they are sick sadists indeed. Makes you wonder if they put themselves through it as well. A level of respect would be earned if they did.

Rhody... :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook