1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Planar orbit of planets around sun

1. Aug 22, 2016 #1
    Imagine thee planets interacting through gravity, mathematically how should they come and rotate in a same plane, like planets and sun?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2016 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Aug 22, 2016 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Three points determine a plane.

5. Aug 22, 2016 #4
    sir i heard all that the galaxies started as dust and then it cooled and due to angular momentum conservation it happrnd, but my question is that if three point masses are interacting can you give me an equation that tells that they will eventually rotate in a single plane?

6. Aug 22, 2016 #5
    but rotation can be in two planes, think about it, a point fixed at origin second point rotating aroung it in xy plane and third one in yz plane.

7. Aug 22, 2016 #6

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It applies to 3 particles too, but collisions are less likely.

8. Aug 22, 2016 #7

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the OP means a plane that contains the Sun too, and has a fixed orientation in an inertial frame.

9. Aug 22, 2016 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Good advice.

Three points determine a plane. Three bodies will always be in a plane. It is true that that plane may not be constant in a particular coordinate system (e.g. one where everything is moving up with some velocity) but that is always true.

If you are talking about three planets and the sun, you should say so and do it clearly.

10. Aug 23, 2016 #9

11. Aug 23, 2016 #10
    I chose three points just to make the problem simpler you can aslo say it for four points they dont lie in a plane nessesarily but thry come in a plane if interacting through a central force

12. Aug 23, 2016 #11
    So they dont come into a place throught collisions ..sp how do they come in the plane?

13. Aug 23, 2016 #12
    I mean three particles..if collisions are less likely ..let say one has radius of orbit twise as big than the other and they rotate around sun with sun at center in circular orbits...and their axis of rotation are perpendicular..will they cone to an intermediate plane?

14. Aug 23, 2016 #13
    so the collisions is the only culprit here? or can we say they come into plane through mutual graviational attraction?

15. Aug 23, 2016 #14

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Without collisions, they won't necessarily tend towards one plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted