1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planck time/length infinite and defined?

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1
    Wouldn't the shortest interval of time and the smallest object always be an infinite #? How can you ever stop splitting something in half? Hard to fathom on that level I guess. Logic tells me they are infinite?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think you're looking at it all wrong. There is a view that Spacetime is pixelated into small volumes of Planck length. Rather like a digital photo where you can only zoom in so far.

4. Jul 15, 2012 #3
    Makes it easier to comprehend. thanks

5. Jul 15, 2012 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is one of many examples where Maths and 'Reality' part company at some stage.

6. Jul 15, 2012 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

We don't know that yet. Some people presume it to be the case, but we are not anywhere near being able to probe length scales this small to actually see.

7. Jul 15, 2012 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agreed. But the Maths doesn't prove it either way. Any connection would, as yet, be a matter of faith, not based on available evidence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook