Plantae protist and diatoms evolution

• Thread starter yahman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, the conversation discusses the similarities between plantae protists and diatoms, and whether they arise from convergent or divergent evolution. The speaker suggests that they are from convergent evolution due to environmental conditions leading to new adaptations. Another speaker brings up the concept of divergent evolution, which is focused on differences and speciation rather than similarities.
yahman
Do similarities between plantae protist and diatoms arise from convergent or divergent evolution?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think they are from convergent evolution however I can't think of a reason why, I know they are paraphyltic on the evolution tree of life. It could be that environmental conditions could have caused this change thus it's convergent, they don't have shared derived trait with a common ancestor, and these new traits that have acquired are mere adaptations to environmental conditions. (this is my best attempt, any help is appreciated !)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello!
I think divergent is to do with with differences, and ultimately speciation, not with similarities.
I may have misunderstood what your saying, but I hope this is of some help.

Your answer is a good start! Let's break down the question a bit more to fully understand the concepts of convergent and divergent evolution.

Convergent evolution is when unrelated species evolve similar traits due to similar environmental pressures. This means that these species do not share a common ancestor, but rather independently evolved similar traits to survive in their environment. On the other hand, divergent evolution is when closely related species evolve different traits due to different environmental pressures. This means that these species share a common ancestor, but over time, they have evolved and adapted to different environments, resulting in different traits.

In the case of Plantae protists and diatoms, they are both eukaryotic organisms and share some similarities such as having a cell wall and chloroplasts. However, these similarities are not due to a common ancestor, but rather due to convergent evolution. This is because both of these organisms evolved in aquatic environments and had to adapt to similar conditions such as photosynthesis and protection from predators. Therefore, they independently evolved similar traits to survive in their environment.

In conclusion, the similarities between Plantae protists and diatoms arise from convergent evolution as they do not share a common ancestor, but have independently evolved similar traits due to similar environmental pressures.

1. What is the history of evolution of Plantae protist and diatoms?

The evolution of Plantae protist and diatoms dates back to around 1.5 billion years ago, during the Proterozoic eon. They evolved from single-celled organisms, likely from a common ancestor with animals and fungi. Over time, they diversified and became more complex, adapting to different environments and forming important relationships with other organisms.

2. How did diatoms evolve their unique silica cell walls?

Diatoms evolved their unique silica cell walls through a process called biomineralization, where they secrete silica from specialized organelles called silica deposition vesicles. This process is controlled by specific genes that have evolved over time, allowing for the intricate and diverse structures seen in diatom cell walls.

3. What role did Plantae protist and diatoms play in the evolution of Earth's atmosphere?

Plantae protist and diatoms played a crucial role in the evolution of Earth's atmosphere by contributing to the Great Oxygenation Event. Through photosynthesis, they released oxygen into the atmosphere, leading to the oxygenation of Earth's oceans and atmosphere, which allowed for the development of more complex life forms.

4. How did Plantae protist and diatoms adapt to different environments?

Plantae protist and diatoms have adapted to different environments through various mechanisms, such as developing specialized cell structures, altering their metabolic processes, and forming symbiotic relationships with other organisms. These adaptations have allowed them to thrive in a wide range of environments, from freshwater to marine and terrestrial habitats.

5. What is the significance of the evolution of Plantae protist and diatoms?

The evolution of Plantae protist and diatoms has had a significant impact on Earth's ecosystems. They are important primary producers, providing food and oxygen for many other organisms. They also play a crucial role in nutrient cycling and carbon storage. Additionally, their unique structures and adaptations have made them valuable for research and industrial applications.