Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pneumatic valve for cartesian robot

1. Jan 23, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I am trying to build a high-speed X/Y cartesian robot which vacuums up defected parts from a moving conveyor. The end effector of the robot has a venturi vacuum integrated. Because the vacuum is constant, I need a Z-axis to go up/down for the end effector to get the defects otherwise it sucks up everthing. This is very slow. I would rather keep the height constant of the end effector and instead toggle the vacuum on/off using a valve of some kind so I can eliminate the z axis. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for because valves I've found are for small diameters (10mm). I need a valve for hoses about the size of ping-pong balls. Can anyone suggest a source for a pneumatic valve in the size range and that can cycle in very high speeds?

Thank you,
    Jake Platt

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Interesting. Can you instead just open several small holes in the hose some distance upstream to spoil the vacuum at the end?

4. Mar 31, 2014 #3
    I misunderstood your point for 2 months. I was re-reading old posts and now i finally get your point. Clever!! It never dawned on me to the leave the vacuum intact and just cancel the pressure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook