Pneumonic plague outbreak reported in China.

• Medical
  • Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iLFGFVYaEEFibpJ7MThpiQsgInWQD99QH66G0 [Broken]

First the bird flu, then the swine flu, now the Pneumonic plague. God knows what's next..

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
yawn!

First the bird flu, then the swine flu, now the Pneumonic plague. God knows what's next..
Pneumatic plague :redface:

everyone feels tired! :biggrin:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iLFGFVYaEEFibpJ7MThpiQsgInWQD99QH66G0 [Broken]

Wer'e doomed..........................doomed.:cry::eek::bugeye::biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wer'e doomed..........................doomed.:cry::eek::bugeye::biggrin:
I don't think that plague is just limited to that tiny town in China. In the coming days, I expect to hear Thousands of new cases, and then Millions in the months following. What is the fatality rate of the Pneumonic plague? Are there any existing vaccines which will protect against it? Are Hundreds of Millions or perhaps Billions of people going to die from this plague?

I don't think that plague is just limited to that tiny town in China. In the coming days, I expect to hear Thousands of new cases, and then Millions in the months following. What is the fatality rate of the Pneumonic plague? Are there any existing vaccines which will protect against it? Are Hundreds of Millions or perhaps Billions of people going to die from this plague?
I wasn't downplaying the threat I was quoting from a classic British comedy T.V. series called Dads Army.One of the characters always said the above when there was apparent danger.I don't know the answer to any of your questions.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wiki has good links supporting the following

Pneumonic plague is a very aggressive infection requiring rapid antibiotic treatment within around 24 hours of infection.

Early treatment of pneumonic plague is essential. To reduce the chance of death, antibiotics must be given within 24 hours of first symptoms.[1] Streptomycin, gentamicin, tetracyclines, and chloramphenicol are all effective against pneumonic plague.

Antibiotic treatment for 7 days will protect people who have had direct, close contact with infected patients. Wearing a close-fitting surgical mask also protects against infection.[1]

Without treatment, the mortality rate from pneumonic plague approaches 100%.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumonic_plague

Evo
Mentor
This is really getting old, you start these threads making ridiculous claims. One person died.

This is really getting old, you start these threads making ridiculous claims. One person died.
Have there been any reported infections/deaths outside that small rural town in China?