Point Set Topology: Non-Trivial Facts Beyond Uryshon's Lemma

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter facenian
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Point Set Topology
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
facenian
Messages
433
Reaction score
25
Hello
I am curious about this. Uryshon' s lemma is also known as "the first non-trivial fact of point set topology", what are the others non-trivial facts of point set topology?
I suppose Tychonoff' s theorem is another one.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would say things like Tychonoffs theorem, Tietze's extension theorem, Cech-Stone compactifications,...
 
Not to forget space-filling curves and the theorem that says that every compact metric space is the image of the Cantor set. Also, the Siefert-Van Kampen theorem, but that's algebraic topology...
 
Perhaps the existence of a partition of unity for certain spaces.