Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Policy on old threads

Tags:
  1. Mar 1, 2017 #1
    My suggestion is that it could be useful to clarify the policy on replying to older threads. I know this has been discussed in the past, but I have not found any recent discussions. As a newer member I find this issue a bit confusing.

My impression was that if a thread is not locked, it is fair game for a reply. Some threads may be a bit older, but still useful.

Would it be technically possible and/or advisable to automatically lock an older thread to which there has been no reply within a given time period? Then we could assume that any unlocked thread is fair game.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2017 #2
    Any unlocked thread is fair game. I'll be doing a mass lock shortly to get up to date.

4. Mar 1, 2017 #3
    Updated the locks. All are fair game.

5. Mar 1, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just out of curiosity Greg, how old did a thread have to be before you locked it?

6. Mar 1, 2017 #5
    1 year old

7. Mar 1, 2017 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hey, my key to the Mentor lounge doesn't work anymore! :eek:

8. Mar 1, 2017 #7

Drakkith

Odd, my key to the Mentor hot tub doesn't work either...

9. Mar 1, 2017 #8

Evo

I've got the new keys, it'll cost you. :-p

10. Mar 1, 2017 #9

berkeman

Pick me! Pick me! :smile:
    molded_kitten.jpg

11. Mar 1, 2017 #10

Evo

OOOh, you found a chocolate kitteh!!! You may have all of the keys!!! :oldlove:

12. Mar 1, 2017 #11

berkeman

Thank you Evo. You're the best.

I always wondered what the strange noise was coming from the locked Mentor Janitor Closet, now I can check it out.

Holy Colossus Batman! :woot:

13. Mar 1, 2017 #12
    Threads that started a year ago or threads in which conversation ended a year ago?

14. Mar 1, 2017 #13

berkeman

Last post was over 1 year ago.

Most threads last a month at the most. Very long threads can go longer with relevance. Normal threads that get necroposted are problematical, depending on the subject and how OP-centric the thread is. Does that make sense?

15. Mar 1, 2017 #14
    Indeed it does :smile:

16. Mar 1, 2017 #15

jtbell

I've seen people post in old threads knowing full well what they're doing, and even acknowledging it: "I know this is an old thread, but here's some new information..." And that post may very well be a valid contribution to the thread, viewed by itself.

The problem is that when the thread gets bumped back up to the top of the list, a lot of people read it from the beginning without realizing that it's actually (say) five years old, and some of them post responses directly to those old posts, without realizing that the people who made them may not be here any more, or have long since "moved on" in other ways. I've seen people suggesting universities to someone who was a high school junior or senior years ago and was probably about to finish university (or already finished) when the thread was revived.

17. Mar 2, 2017 #16
    Some other thematic forums has a custom that in case somebody has a worthy follow-up for an old/ locked thread he can contact the staff for permission to post it.
    Then the thread immediately got locked again.

18. Mar 2, 2017 #17

jtbell

I think we've done that here, too, although we don't state it explicitly as a policy in our rules.

19. Mar 2, 2017 #18

Drakkith

Indeed. If anyone has something that think would make a good post, they can always contact a mentor and ask about adding in their post, no matter how old the thread is.

20. Mar 2, 2017 #19
    fyi, no reply threads are open no matter the age

21. Mar 2, 2017 #20

Drakkith

What are "no-reply-threads"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted