Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial equation in several variables

1. Jun 9, 2010 #1
    What is the most general solution to an equation of the form:

[tex]a_1 p_1 + \ldots + a_n p_n =0[/tex]

where [tex]p_i[/tex] are given polynomials in several (N) variables with no common factor (i.e. their GCD is 1) and [tex]a_n[/tex] are the polynomials we are looking for (again in the same N variables). Of course, I'm asking for a nontrivial solution, i.e. not all a's are zero.

For the case where n=2, i.e. where I only have [tex]a_1 p_1+a_2 p_2 =0[/tex], this is easy - we obtain that [tex]a_1=-c p_2, a_2=c p_1[/tex], where c is an arbitrary polynomial (recall that [tex]p_1, p_2[/tex] have no common factor). Does something simmilar hold also for n>2?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2010 #2
    There can be so many. If all you want is a nontrivial solution, then just use the a1, a2 as in your example, and set a3=...=an=0.

4. Jun 9, 2010 #3
    Well, that is certainly a solution, but I would like to obtain the most general form.

Could one, for example, show that all such solutions have to have the form [tex]a_i=\sum_{j\neq i} c_j p_j[/tex], with the [tex]c_j[/tex] being some polynomials obeying some further relation (which is obtained by substituting this ansatz to the equation).

I know probably to little from algebra to be able to prove something like that. Or maybe it's just trivial and I don't see it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook