Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Poor nutrition leading to overeating?

1. May 22, 2012 #1
    A friend of mine is quite taken with the idea that the lack of nutrition in typically consumed food is causing our bodies to crave more food (to make up the missing nutrients), leading to overeating and obesity.

I'm quite sceptical of this supposed link but I'd love to hear the opinions of people more well versed in the science of our anatomy.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2012 #2

bobze

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We overeat because:

1. Portion size has been increasing over the decades
    -because food is cheap and easy to mass produce
    -because people want "more bang for their buck"

2. Because things which we are evolutionarily programed to crave (fats and sweet sugars) are in abundance and easily obtainable

I think for most Americans portion size is probably the bane of their midsection.

4. May 23, 2012 #3
    Yes, I agree that a good majority of Americans appear to be overweight though I don't see too much of it where I live. Also, I don't consider myself being overweight. I'm an adult female that weights 103-113 lbs. Today I grazed throughout the day from a large bowl filled with diced spinach, an egg, two slices of chopped chicken, 6 lima beans, a handful of diced tomatoes, 3 tablespoons raisons, 1/3 cup white cheese, diced carats, ¼ cup sunflower seeds, and two teaspoons of sesame dressing. :approve:

Very interesting recent publication I thought you might enjoy reading from the peer-reviewed journal Nature on Pediatric Obesity(1041–1047. doi:10.1038/oby.2012.5):Higher Prevalence of Obesity Among Children With Asthma: http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v20/n5/full/oby20125a.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook