Portable laptop choice for a physicist?

In summary, as a physicist, it is important to have a laptop with a powerful processor, high RAM capacity, and a dedicated graphics card for data analysis and simulations. A long battery life and durable build are also recommended for fieldwork. A touchscreen may be useful but is not necessary. Both Windows and macOS are commonly used, but compatibility with necessary software should be considered. The storage space needed will vary depending on the type of work, but an external hard drive may be helpful. There is no one specific brand recommended, but popular options include Dell, Lenovo, and Apple. It is important to research and compare different models to find the best fit for your needs and budget.
vikkipedia
Hi, I am a norwegian Theoretical Physicist working on string theory

I need to buy a new laptop that's portable and can handle heavy mathematica but it can't be to expensive though i have a budget that's around 1200$, i want it to be around 13"-14".
Please reply as fast you can :)

Computer science news on Phys.org

1. What features should I look for in a portable laptop as a physicist?

As a physicist, it is important to have a laptop with a powerful processor, high RAM capacity, and a dedicated graphics card for data analysis and simulations. You may also want to consider a laptop with a long battery life and a durable build for fieldwork.

2. Is a touchscreen necessary for a portable laptop for a physicist?

A touchscreen can be useful for tasks such as drawing graphs or taking notes, but it is not a necessary feature for a portable laptop for a physicist. It ultimately depends on your personal preference and the type of work you will be doing.

3. What operating system is best for a portable laptop as a physicist?

Both Windows and macOS are commonly used by physicists, so it ultimately depends on your personal preference. However, some software may only be compatible with one operating system, so consider the programs you will need to use before making a decision.

4. How much storage space do I need for a portable laptop as a physicist?

The amount of storage space you need will depend on the type of work you will be doing and how much data you will be storing. As a physicist, you may need a larger storage capacity for simulations and data analysis. Consider investing in an external hard drive for additional storage.

5. Are there any specific brands that are recommended for portable laptops for physicists?

There is no one specific brand that is recommended for portable laptops for physicists. Some popular brands among scientists include Dell, Lenovo, and Apple. It is important to research and compare different models to find one that best fits your needs and budget.