Portion of Chromosome Copied with Limited dTTP

• Thread starter whamola411
  • Start date
In summary, when all new production of dTTP is blocked at the start of DNA synthesis and the initial concentration is 1 mM, an estimate needs to be made for the fraction of the complete diploid set of chromosomes that will be copied. To do this, several estimates need to be made, including the average size of a chromosome (150*10^6 bp or 3*10^8 bases), the molar weight of dTTP (482.168 g/mol), and the average weight of a nucleotide (330 g/mol). From there, the size of the cell (1 micrometer or .001 mm) can be estimated in order to determine the volume and ultimately the number of moles of d
whamola411
1. dTTP is used in DNA synthesis. dTTP concentrations are mM, while a particular chromosome has only two copies. Estimate what fraction of the complete diploid set of chromosomes will be copied if at the start of DNA synthesis all new production of dTTP is blocked and the initial concentration of dTTp is 1 mM.
Several estimates need to be made. Explain where the estimates come from.

2. I don't have any relevant equations. This problem has no correlation to what we are learning in class, other than we are just starting to learn about DNA.

3. I started by finding out how big an average chromosome is and got 150*10^6 bp of 3*10^8 bases. Then I found the molar weight of dTTP to be 482.168 g/mol. I also found online that an average nucleotide weighs about 330 g/mol. Then I divided the total number of nucleotides by the MW for one nucleotide: 3*10^8/330 = 9.09*10^5 g/mol of nucleotides in one chromosome pair.

From here I don't know where to go because of the mM. The fact that there is a liter in the units throws me off completely.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to estimate the size of the cell in order to figure out how many moles of dTTP are in the cell.

Well, a typical cell is around 1 micrometer, or .001 mm. So, if we need volume, I would assume a cell to be roughly square and the volume to be .001*.001*.001 = 1*10^-9 mm^3

What is a "Portion of Chromosome Copied with Limited dTTP"?

A "Portion of Chromosome Copied with Limited dTTP" refers to a specific section of a chromosome that has been replicated using a limited amount of the nucleotide dTTP during the process of DNA replication.

What is the significance of using limited dTTP in copying a portion of a chromosome?

The use of limited dTTP in copying a portion of a chromosome allows for the selective replication of certain sections of DNA. This can be useful in studying specific genes or mutations within a chromosome.

How is a portion of a chromosome copied with limited dTTP?

The process of copying a portion of a chromosome with limited dTTP involves using a specific technique called polymerase chain reaction (PCR). This technique amplifies a specific section of DNA using a limited amount of dTTP, resulting in multiple copies of the targeted portion of the chromosome.

What are the potential applications of studying a portion of a chromosome copied with limited dTTP?

Studying a portion of a chromosome copied with limited dTTP can have various applications in scientific research, including identifying and studying genetic mutations, understanding gene expression and regulation, and developing diagnostic tests for genetic disorders.

Are there any limitations or challenges in studying a portion of a chromosome copied with limited dTTP?

One limitation of studying a portion of a chromosome copied with limited dTTP is the potential for errors during the PCR process, which can result in inaccurate or incomplete replication. Additionally, this technique may not be suitable for studying larger sections of DNA or highly repetitive sequences.