Position variables in the wave function

In summary: This means that the position operator, ##\hat{x}##, does not commute with the Hamiltonian, ##\hat{H}##, and this is why we cannot say that ##\hat{H} = i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial{t}}## for all solutions of the Schrodinger equation. Instead, we must use the full form of the Schrodinger equation, \hat{H}\psi = i\hbar\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial{t}}, which includes the time-dependent term.In summary, the position variable in the wave function cannot be treated as independent of time, as doing so would lead to inconsistency with the Schrodinger equation and the reality of
SheikYerbouti
I would like some clarification as to the mathematical and physical definitions of the position variables in the wave function. I often see that it is treated as a variable independent of time; this is utilized in the separation of variables technique. However, the Schrodinger equation implies that this cannot be so. My argument (for the one-dimensional case) is as follows:

We can rearrange the Schrodinger equation to show that [itex](\hat{H}- i\hbar \frac{\partial{}}{\partial{t}})\psi = 0[/itex]. Since [itex]\psi[/itex] is not identically zero, it follows that we can say that [itex]\hat{H} = i\hbar \frac{\partial{}}{\partial{t}}[/itex] for all solutions to the Schrodinger equation. One consequence of this is that commutation relations between these two operators and a third must produce equivalent results; we will examine commutation with [itex]\hat{x}[/itex]. On one hand, we have:
[itex][\hat{x}, i\hbar \frac{\partial{}}{\partial{t}}]\psi = x i\hbar \frac{\partial{}}{\partial{t}}\psi - i\hbar \frac{\partial{}}{\partial{t}}(x\psi)[/itex]
[itex]= x i\hbar \frac{\partial{}}{\partial{t}}\psi - x i\hbar \frac{\partial{}}{\partial{t}}\psi - \psi i\hbar \frac{\partial{}}{\partial{t}}x[/itex]
[itex]= -\frac{\hbar}{i}\psi \frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{t}}[/itex].
On the other hand:
[itex][\hat{x}, \hat{H}]\psi = x(-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2{}}{\partial{x}^2} + V)\psi - (-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2{}}{\partial{x}^2} + V)(x\psi)[/itex]
[itex]= -x\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2{\psi}}{\partial{x}^2} + Vx\psi + \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2{(x\psi})}{\partial{x}^2} - Vx\psi = -x\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2{\psi}}{\partial{x}^2} + \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2{(x\psi})}{\partial{x}^2}[/itex]
[itex]= -x\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2{\psi}}{\partial{x}^2} + x\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2{\psi}}{\partial{x}^2} + \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial{\psi}}{\partial{x}} + \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial{\psi}}{\partial{x}} = \frac{\hbar^2}{m} \frac{\partial{\psi}}{\partial{x}} = \frac{i\hbar}{m}\hat{p}\psi[/itex]
From the equality of the operators, we must have:
[itex]\frac{i\hbar}{m}\hat{p}\psi = -\frac{\hbar}{i}\psi \frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{t}} \rightarrow \hat{p}\psi\ = m\psi \frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{t}}[/itex].

From this, it follows that if the position has no explicit time dependence, then the application of the momentum operator to any wave function must yield zero in all cases. This is clearly inconsistent with reality. This brings me to my questions: Where did I go wrong in the argument? If I did not make a mistake, how is the position variable defined and how are its use with the separation of variables technique and its explicit time dependence reconcileable?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SheikYerbouti said:
we can say that [itex]\hat{H} = i\hbar \frac{\partial{}}{\partial{t}}[/itex] for all solutions to the Schrodinger equation. One consequence of this is that commutation relations between these two operators and a third must produce equivalent results
No: this is true only if acting with the third operator on a solution of the Schrodinger equation yields another solution of the Schrodinger equation. If it does not, then acting with the third operator takes you out of the space of functions on which [itex]\hat{H} = i\hbar \frac{\partial{}}{\partial{t}}[/itex] is true.

In particular, if ##\psi(x,t)## is a solution of the Schrodinger equation, then in general ##x\,\psi(x,t)## is not.

Likes 1 person

1. What are position variables in the wave function?

The position variables in the wave function refer to the physical location of a particle in space, which is described by the wave function in quantum mechanics. These variables include the position coordinates, such as x, y, and z, and their corresponding operators.

2. How are position variables represented in the wave function?

Position variables are represented by the position operator, which acts on the wave function to give the position of a particle in space. In one-dimensional systems, the position operator is represented by the variable x, while in three-dimensional systems, it is represented by the vector (x, y, z).

3. What is the uncertainty principle and how does it relate to position variables in the wave function?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This means that as the uncertainty in the position increases, the uncertainty in the momentum decreases, and vice versa. In the wave function, the position variables and momentum variables are related through the position and momentum operators.

4. How do position variables affect the shape and behavior of the wave function?

The position variables play a crucial role in determining the shape and behavior of the wave function. The values of the position coordinates determine the location of the peaks and valleys of the wave function, while the position operators act on the wave function to determine its behavior and evolution over time.

5. Can position variables be observed in experiments?

In experiments, it is not possible to directly observe the position variables themselves, as they are represented by operators. However, the effects of the position variables can be observed through measurements of physical quantities, such as position, momentum, or energy, which are represented by the corresponding operators in the wave function.