Possibility of small bodies of liquid etc

In summary: Wheeler once considered structures called geons which was basically a ring of light held together by its own field energy.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geon_(physics)For example: is it possible to have a small blob of liquid floating in space?no, it's going to freezehot enough to keep it liquid (whatever substance it is).it's not going to stay hot for an appreciable time ... heat is going to be lost very quickly via IR radiationAnd boiling/evaporation.it's not going to stay hot for an appreciable time ... heat is going to be lost very quickly via IR radiation
diegzumillo
I'm a physicist but my field is at the other side of the spectrum, but my curiosity has no bounds :P

Based on observations we know of several configurations 'clumps of matter' can take, like planets, gas giants, comets, or basic rocks etc. But I always wondered about more unusual possibilities that are too small to be seen and too wild to be found in models unless you're looking for it. For example: is it possible to have a small blob of liquid floating in space? Small enough so the density is more or less the same across its radius, massive enough to keep it together gravitationally, hot enough to keep it liquid (whatever substance it is).

I guess my question is, more generally, what are the "craziest" (by whatever criteria you may choose) configurations of matter besides the ones we are already familiar with.

(which prefix would fit this topic better? B or stargazing? I went with stargazing because it seems less formal than a high school question)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What's the constraints on density being "more or less the same"? There are no truly incompressible substances. That will define your allowable radius for the given substance. Then, your radius will give you the surface area and hence energy loss by radiation for a given temperature (Stefan-Boltzmann). Depending on how the substance contracts as it cools, and hence how gravitational potential energy will contribute to the heat energy as it contracts, will give you an idea of how long such a body can remain in liquid form. This assumes that the loss of mass due to evaporation (molecules in its upper atmosphere exceeding escape velocity) is inconsequential.

A large enough mass will trigger nuclear shenanigans. Smaller than that you get cooling extended by conversion of gravitational PE to heat as the body contracts.

To address your more general question, can we imagine, for example, a body that is a solid diamond? I suppose we could, and we could suggest limits on its size and temperature to keep it diamond-like throughout.

Likes diegzumillo
Nuclear shenanigans. That's a technical term. :woot:

Likes jedishrfu
DaveC426913 said:
Nuclear shenanigans. That's a technical term. :woot:
I'm elated that you found that amusing :smile:

Likes jedishrfu
gneill said:
A large enough mass will trigger nuclear shenanigans. Smaller than that you get cooling extended by conversion of gravitational PE to heat as the body contracts.
Sounds like bad news for the hypothetical jacuzzi world!
gneill said:
To address your more general question, can we imagine, for example, a body that is a solid diamond? I suppose we could, and we could suggest limits on its size and temperature to keep it diamond-like throughout.
Oh, I read about that one once. I had it on the back of my mind while writing the question because that is definitely the craziest I ever heard.Thanks for indulging me with this silly question, everyone :)

diegzumillo said:
For example: is it possible to have a small blob of liquid floating in space?

no, it's going to freeze

diegzumillo said:
hot enough to keep it liquid (whatever substance it is).
it's not going to stay hot for an appreciable time ... heat is going to be lost very quickly via IR radiation

davenn said:
no, it's going to freeze
And sublimate.
it's not going to stay hot for an appreciable time ... heat is going to be lost very quickly via IR radiation
And boiling/evaporation.

Likes davenn
Geons are new to me. I like it.

Earth is mostly a liquid.

Everything freezes eventually unless it falls into a black hole or evaporates. Law of thermodynamics. Something needs to keep it warm.

A block of lead should work. You could mix in Uranium 234 to keep the dwarf planet warm for a hundred thousand years. Uranium 238 would last longer but might separate. There would be some vapor but the atmospheric escape rate would be quite low. At well below lunar mass the object's surface could be liquid without losing mass. Volcanic eruptions would blow vapor but lead would cool and rain quickly. If it is close to the Sun you could skip the Uranium and just use a lead ball.

Alternatively maybe cesium. Would be liquid at lower temperature. Just cesium isotopes could keep it warm for a few million years.

stefan r said:
Earth is mostly a liquid.
No it is not.

Likes DaveC426913
Diprotium is a common substance. It has a liquid range from 14 to 33 K.
Neptune is mostly diprotium; however, it is 55 K at cloud tops of about 0,1 bar. Yet there is stuff at 97 AU (aphelion of Eris) and 930 AU (aphelion of Sedna).

How far out would Planet 9 have to be in order to have a liquid diprotium surface, at below critical point temperature, and gaseous diprotium and helium atmosphere above?

snorkack said:
Diprotium is a common substance. It has a liquid range from 14 to 33 K.
Neptune is mostly diprotium; however, it is 55 K at cloud tops of about 0,1 bar. Yet there is stuff at 97 AU (aphelion of Eris) and 930 AU (aphelion of Sedna).

How far out would Planet 9 have to be in order to have a liquid diprotium surface, at below critical point temperature, and gaseous diprotium and helium atmosphere above?

Uranus is colder than Neptune. That messes up answering your question.

The record for coldest planet found is Hoth. They did not really measure the temperature. It just gets less light so is probably cold.

Makemake has 32 to 36K surface temperature but only because it has high albedo. Not sure what pure hydrogen's albedo would be. Around 70au would be a ball park for 33K. (note #w)

1. What is the definition of small bodies of liquid?

Small bodies of liquid refer to any liquid bodies that have a relatively small size compared to larger bodies of liquid such as oceans or lakes. This can include bodies of water such as ponds, puddles, or small streams.

2. Is it possible for small bodies of liquid to exist on other planets?

Yes, it is possible for small bodies of liquid to exist on other planets. Scientists have discovered evidence of small bodies of liquid on planets such as Mars and Saturn's moon, Enceladus.

3. How do small bodies of liquid form?

Small bodies of liquid can form through various processes such as precipitation, condensation, or melting of ice. They can also form as a result of geological processes such as erosion or volcanic activity.

4. What impact do small bodies of liquid have on the environment?

Small bodies of liquid can have a significant impact on the environment. They provide habitats for various organisms, contribute to the water cycle, and play a role in regulating the Earth's temperature and climate.

5. Can small bodies of liquid support life?

Yes, small bodies of liquid can support life. Some organisms have adapted to survive in extreme environments, such as those found in small bodies of liquid on Earth. This suggests that it is possible for life to exist in similar environments on other planets.