Possible announcement of proof Higgs Boson exists

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Jameson
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
4,533
Reaction score
13
http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/07/higgs-boson-anticipation/

For some reason the Higgs Boson has become famous well beyond those interested in physics. There is a schedule press conference at 9am Geneva at the site of the Large Hadron Collider and it seems that the only discovery warranting this kind of excitement and unveiling would be the Higgs Boson.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jameson said:
http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/07/higgs-boson-anticipation/

For some reason the Higgs Boson has become famous well beyond those interested in physics. There is a schedule press conference at 9am Geneva at the site of the Large Hadron Collider and it seems that the only discovery warranting this kind of excitement and unveiling would be the Higgs Boson.

For those of you who are awake right now, you can watch the Higgs Boson talk here:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/07/watch-live-higgs-talk/
 
Aw, I missed a whole bunch...I actually woke up when you posted the link but decided to sleep in for another hour (Sleepy)
 
I'm really excited to hear about this even though my understanding of it probably limits appreciating how amazing this actually is. It seems like so much of modern physics is mathematically derived, demonstrated or explained but isn't able to be tested in a laboratory somehow, so this experimental confirmation of this boson predicted in the 1960's shows that we still can test our theories and get results.

I don't know why exactly but I have had the feeling that the things we want to know are becoming increasingly more difficult or impossible currently to attempt to test so these ideas will remain theoretical. It's a good day for science!
 
Jameson said:
It seems like so much of modern physics is mathematically derived, demonstrated or explained but isn't able to be tested in a laboratory somehow, so this experimental confirmation of this boson predicted in the 1960's shows that we still can test our theories and get results.
No!
There are so many analyses going on, testing theory predictions all the time. The LHC collaborations together published well over 100 papers with measurements, and as long as there were theory predictions, all agreed within the uncertainty.
There was one observation 3.5 standard deviations away from the expectation (delta ACP from the LHCb collaboration). However, this expectation was based on some hand-waving, as it is very hard to calculate it. The difference is not solved yet, but theorists are quite confident that the value can be explained within the standard model.

The Higgs boson is "just" another prediction which was confirmed. With the bonus of being a fundamental particle.
 
Apparently the validity of the results has been confirmed now and it seems almost certain that they've discovered the Higgs Boson. Also read that plans for a larger hadron collider are in the works.
 
Jameson said:
Apparently the validity of the results has been confirmed now and it seems almost certain that they've discovered the Higgs Boson. Also read that plans for a larger hadron collider are in the works.
Yes it has been confirmed. And a higher energy super-collider will be needed to fine tune the mass, but it's there.

Now all I need to do is to get rid of the idea that there have to be at least two different kinds. I keep mulling over that we also have to have a "Higgs fermion." Might be true, might be a demonstration of my swiss-cheese brain.

That or I need a few (Beer)s in me.

-Dan
 
So it seems the LHC may have found two Higgs Bosons, whatever that means. This is so beyond my knowledge of physics but I find it very interesting nevertheless. Take a look here.
 
Jameson said:
...This is so beyond my knowledge of physics but I find it very interesting nevertheless...

Same here.(Wink)

Very interesting stuff.:cool: