Possible outcomes of measuring ##L^2## and ##L_z##?

• Thread starter Kara386
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measuring
In summary, the conversation is discussing the wavefunction of a particle and the possible outcomes of measuring ##L^2## and ##L_z##. The wavefunction can be written as a combination of spherical harmonics and the coefficients of each spherical harmonic squared represent the probability of that particular outcome. The possible outcomes are the eigenvalues of the operators ##L^2## and ##L_z##, and the probability of individual outcomes must be combined to find the total probability of measuring a specific eigenvalue.
Kara386

Homework Statement

A particle has the wavefunction

##\psi(\theta, \phi) = \sqrt{\frac{5}{2\pi}}\sin(\theta)cos(\frac{\theta}{2})^2\cos(\phi)##

What are the possible outcomes of measuring ##L^2## and ##L_z##? And the relative probabilities of each outcome?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I should try and write the wavefunction as a combination of spherical harmonics so I can find the eigenvalues more easily. Substituting in ##cos(\frac{\theta}{2})^2 = \frac{1}{2} +\frac{1}{2}\cos(\theta)##,

##\psi(\theta, \phi) = \sqrt{\frac{5}{8\pi}}\sin(\theta)\cos(\phi)+\sqrt{\frac{5}{8\pi}}\cos(\theta)cos(\phi)##

I found that ##\psi(\theta, \phi) = \sqrt{\frac{5}{12\pi}}(Y_{1,-1}-Y_{1,1}) + \sqrt{\frac{1}{12}}(Y_{2,-1}-Y_{2,1})##. Now I don't really know what to do with that! I know that the coefficient of each spherical harmonic squared will be the probability of that particular outcome. And if you square every coefficient and add them then they do add to 1.

The possible outcomes are the eigenvalues of the operator in question, which for ##L^2## are ##\hbar^2 l(l+1)## and for ##L_z## are ##\hbar m##. So what I don't understand is, every spherical harmonic will have an eigenvalue of ##L^2## and one for ##L_z##, but when I square the coefficients am I finding the probability of the ##L^2## outcome, the ##L_z## outcome or both?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kara386 said:
The possible outcomes are the eigenvalues of the operator in question, which for ##L^2## are ##\hbar^2 l(l+1)## and for ##L_z## are ##\hbar m##. So what I don't understand is, every spherical harmonic will have an eigenvalue of ##L^2## and one for ##L_z##, but when I square the coefficients am I finding the probability of the ##L^2## outcome, the ##L_z## outcome or both?
What you found is that, for instance, the probability of being in state ##Y_{1,-1}## is 5/12. That state will lead to defined values of ##L^2## and ##L_z##. You need to go through all states the same way, and figure out the probability of individual outcomes, and you must then combine them to find, say, the total probability of measuring ##L = 2 \hbar^2##.

Likes Kara386

1. What is the significance of measuring ##L^2## and ##L_z##?

The measurement of ##L^2## and ##L_z## is significant in quantum mechanics, specifically in the study of angular momentum. These two quantities represent the total and z-component of angular momentum, respectively.

2. How are ##L^2## and ##L_z## related to each other?

The two quantities are related through the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely one quantity is measured, the less precisely the other can be measured. In the case of ##L^2## and ##L_z##, measuring one quantity with high precision will result in a less precise measurement of the other.

3. What are the possible outcomes of measuring ##L^2## and ##L_z##?

The possible outcomes of measuring ##L^2## and ##L_z## are discrete values that correspond to the allowed energy levels of a quantum system. These values are determined by the quantum numbers associated with the system.

4. How do the possible outcomes of ##L^2## and ##L_z## affect the behavior of a quantum system?

The possible outcomes of ##L^2## and ##L_z## affect the behavior of a quantum system by determining the direction and magnitude of its angular momentum. This, in turn, influences other properties of the system such as its energy and stability.

5. Can the outcomes of measuring ##L^2## and ##L_z## be predicted with certainty?

No, the outcomes of measuring ##L^2## and ##L_z## cannot be predicted with certainty due to the inherent probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. However, the probabilities of obtaining certain outcomes can be calculated using mathematical equations such as the Schrödinger equation.